Thursday, May 25, 2017

Two-day Arts



Two arts, two days in a row I thought were too much. But my learners can actually draw or color forever. I forgot they are kids. Thank God it saved me from talking. As a teacher, wordless days are also needed–let’s say once in a while. Don’t get me wrong though, this is not about making smoke and mirrors. We just had our successive review for three days and felt like they had enough to absorb. And so activities like these help unwind.  

Drawing, painting, sketching, and the like are not really my inclination. Happy to say, it doesn’t make me a less lover of arts. When I became an ESL educator from seventeen years ago, I took the initiative of loving them. I learned to draw–something like that. Perhaps I would realize soon that there must be a hidden talent from these. Ha, lo and behold, I don’t find any. My kids actually do better than I am when I was their age. I still draw until this time point for my materials and flashcards to use, but I’m not yet an expert. There were even funny situations when my students didn’t understand what I was trying to show. Once I had shown them a mango and was mistaken as a pear. This is what I define as: “someone’s delight, somebody’s agony”–an inseparable existence for as long as I teach kids. Of course, I just don’t let my kids draw or do arts. I always take this as an opportunity to empower them and advocate something aside from focusing on necessary lessons. Today, it was all for expressing feelings and developing confidence as they explained what they had. Here are mine. Please forgive me for these ones.  

     


No comments: