Thursday, May 18, 2017

Endless Ceremony




Living in this country for long drawn-out years, I’d say is enough to know things without a doubt. But don’t get me wrong because I’m not trying to act like I have all the answers. Maybe it is just me who fancies giving a fig especially about cultures. And what you are about to read is not a speculation or a disparagement. It is a reality I keep seeing and hearing almost every single day–a lifestyle including everybody’s goings-on wherein I also take part if necessary. Regardless of my cognizance about these happenings (these endless ceremonies to heed), still caught surprised how this village in particular never runs out of something to celebrate or mourn–only in this village. I have stayed in different provinces and villages in Cambodia, but nothing compares to this place. I wonder! Name it…birthday, wedding, housewarming, death and anniversary, engagement ceremony, and more–each is valued the same.  


As in right now, I am hearing prayers and chants being recited by monks, songs being sung live by wedding singers, the bangs and gongs of classical instruments are also in the air–like few meters away–all in a loud sound through megaphone speakers echoing even to the farthest neighboring communes. Tomorrow will even be louder, if not loudest–only who are used to it can bear these blare and toot. I am not whining although it is caused too much annoyance at times, this is just out of curiosity from unanswered queries perhaps. Every day there’s at least something to look forward to happily or to attend to sadly. Do remind me to come in out of the rain so that I will understand that I’m actually an outsider. Besides, this is just how life goes here.


No comments: