Sunday, March 19, 2017

Sleeping in Pagoda



I am not the man of the world-no, not yet, but my immersion in Buddhist countries including their cultures and education for almost seventeen years taught me respect, acceptance, and deeper grace. And so I couldn't imagine how rude it turned out if I refused an invitation from a monk (my new boss) to sleep in Wat or pagoda. Why would I do that!? You heard me right. My two new superiors, the teaching staff, and myself spent the night over on Mount Ta O Wat in Kirivong. After all, it didn't make me any less of a child of God. 

Although it was my first to have such experience, but I've been to many temples for countless chances. Besides, I had taught English classes to monks in the past. So I don't mind. To tell you the truth, I don't find them intimidating but very kind.The first time we went up to the mountain was by car. The second time around we rode our motorbikes-the better and exciting. For two reasons: I enjoy stargazing and listening to the sound of creations in chorus at night. Yes, I slept in pagoda two nights in a row-much more comfortable than my tiny quarter. 

  

No comments: