Sunday, May 27, 2012

One Wekend With U.F.O. Folks


Back to U.F.O. – the world of only familiar aliens share the same interest. But no one is a stranger here. I was out for a while due to constrained time. The last time I saw objects flying was three months ago. Now I am enjoying the presences of the company. 

Back to the most indulging grass – where aficionados of U.F.O. like me spend hours throwing and catching discs. It’s more than that actually. We always conform to our ultimate standard – NEVER STOP RUNNING. Thanks to this comfortable field (only in RMIT).

“I’m so old and fat” my lazy conscience teased. 

Not to mention my worries panting like a dog the moment I’d be in. Besides, it’s really difficult maintaining stamina when one is physically unfit; and one is away from this game for so long. But I had to push my self for the sake of health.  Now that I am free, it’s my chance. So glad I did!

 
 I missed playing with these kids. But I must be prepared for the many challenges around them. They’re young, and I’m not. They are fast, and I am trying. Keeping up with these kids was always the issue.  Well, very happy to be back!

“Keep playing, Al. This will be your warm up for the finals tomorrow.” one kid encouraged me yesterday. 

That’s right! We had a big game this afternoon. I was pirated to play with RMIT (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology) students. These are young, fast players that none in my generation or the generation next is playing with today.

We played three games in a row to end the league. At least I was warmed up a day before this. So there I played hard busting butts. We didn’t win and was out after semi-finals. But again, it’s an honor to play with these bionic kids. I had wonderful moments with them this weekend. 



Back to old lifestyle – a kind of life never had in Cambodia since I moved. Can’t believe was off at karaoke for a long time. Last night was a blast.

It was also a joy having been invited for a birthday bash. There I was enjoying the treat – a pure treat where I don’t have to wash any dishes or serve or cook. All I had to do was to sit served. I was surprised actually because these are wealthy kids, yet they cooked food, set the table, washed the dishes, and mopped the floor before we headed to karaoke. I had a great time with my U.F.O. folks. Thanks for the weekend bash!


And oh, this weekend I had time catching up stories, humors and rumors I missed. Whatever they are, rest assured I left them there. And no one will hear it outside this circle.

Then we had pizzas and fruits to celebrate the success of this league. Sad I wasn’t in the league the whole time, but so glad I made it this final week. I felt so fulfilled physically. 

What a weekend with U.F.O. folks!


By the way, the acronym stands for Ultimate Frisbee Organization

 

No comments: