Friday, May 25, 2012

FOR GOODNESS' SAKE

 Had mentioned this coffee shop in one of my previous posts late last year. Treat and Trick, remember this story? But it was definitely my mistake. So charged to my experience.

I will be featuring it (still nameless) again, but this time definitely talking about their negligence. So charged to their experience.

In fairness, it has been my favorite place for nine years long. Name an occasion, then I'll be able to tell every story for every event that took place here. This coffee shop has become part of me, and only familiar friends can name this shop exactly. I wrote my recent posting here, and even a lot of those postings before this. And still here this time writing another article amidst an incident yesterday.

It only had one or very few shops in my early years here, but outlets are everywhere now. I've been to all them, but only in two places I went the most. I was once a VIP and had enjoyed all the benefits a client is entitled to.

Servers come and go, and so the management staff. That's why I should always have rooms for consideration and a little tolerance. Don't fake it, I'm sure you'd complain when a service went wrong. Wouldn't you? I would especially if I don't get my order in two hours, forgotten. 

If I had to write all those complaints, I don't think would remember all. That's when I said showing kindness and tolerance - but not yesterday. It wasn't the kind of thing one should let go. I do mean it. It was so disappointing!

Wanted to have a nase goreng (the picture above) yesterday for dinner. This is the only cuisine I order at @#$%^&* coffee shop for a meal except snacks. And so I know which outlet serves the best. And so I knew I was at the right place.

But look what I got?

A cold nase goreng??? Kidding me!

"Why are you serving me cold food?" I asked the server.

He took my plate back and gave it to the counter. The food was supposed to be sizzling hot. The fried rice was so little and looked awful. It wasn't the usual one although I was ordering it from the same place. And also it was the most expensive in the lists, but it was not about the price. It was the poor service.

Waited...

"Where is my food?" I insisted.  

"Oh, I forgot" the server said.

Then one of the girls at the counter was alarmed and put it in the microwave immediately. She took it out few minutes after. And when the server brought it to me, it was still cold.

Speechless and took a deep breath.

"Can you change my food, please?" I told him.

He took my food back and brought it at the counter. They did the same process. I was already angry.

So I asked the server in Vietnamese, "Where in the world you serve your customer a cold food and heat it in microwave?"

Then he apologized and finally told me to change the order. But I was already hungry to take his offer. I ate it instead and told him to bring me the manager.

A woman came to me while I was eating.  

"May I help you?" she started. "No, I want the manager." I replied in frustration.

This time she insisted with an apology. Granted but she had to hear my speech. "What if my friend or my host asked me what I had for dinner? And then I told them I had cold nase goreng. Few minutes after, they called their friends too tell what had happened. What do yo think?"

Her eyes turned big surprisingly. Then she went back to the counter. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to bluff them.

She came back pleading and told me to forget everything. She also told me she'll get the bill. "No, I'll pay. Just bring me the manager." I said my last words. I don't think taking the offer was the best decision. After all no one is a perfect worker. I just needed the manager to remind them. I've done this countless times. Sometimes they were not worth advising but it was for goodness' sake.

Who cares?

I do!

Finally, the manager came in and talked to me. It was cool of her to say sorry and promised to improve the service even before I said my complaint. Like the rest of them she insisted to offer the same thing. But I refused. What for?

I could have taken the offer and walked full and forget about it. I didn't. I was trying to help instead even I wasn't treated fair - for the sake of showing goodness. I would feel guilty if I took it because it was not my intention for complaining. I wonder how many opportunists are there in the world?

When I settled my bill, I was charged nothing. And even if I insisted many times they didn't take my money. So I took it as a consultation fee for giving them a lecture.

Happy?

No!

Guilty?

No!

But I realized taking that gift was the only way to feel them better and to see room for development. 

No comments: