Monday, May 14, 2012

A TEN-DOLLAR SEAT

Now in Saigon for two occasions - a birthday and a wedding. But this was not how it looked like coming here. It was I'd say from comfort to discomfort and vice versa situation.

Too confident that I would always have an easy trip. "Oh, can't wait for this six-hour trip and just indulge the time in sleeping." I told my kids in anticipation.

Aside from the heat issue and so sleepless nights, staying inside the air-conditioned bus would do. Yet it didn't happen as looked forward to. No, I don't put the blame on holiday.

I don't usually underestimate big holidays. But few things happened for a reason. I don't know but this holiday didn't mesmerize me though. I could not even remember what's this for. For sure I sent my kids home for few days. Maybe just too occupied with other things that I almost miss it coming today.

Wanted to catch the 1 o'clock bus to Saigon today. And so I woke up early to get a spot. But it was already fully booked.  

"What?" I said in frustration!

I had options of course but it's a hassle to go to another bus company. I still did anyway. It was 11:00 am when I arrived at different station. It was thirty minutes before the departure. Hopeful can take any earlier trips since the bus leaves every hour.

Then another "What???"

All trips were fully booked as well except for the 3 o'clock. That's when I realized how important this holiday was. 

Then silence - I was actually trying to calm down since worrying won't change a thing.

And then another silence - this time I was thinking seriously what to do.

Finally, I talked to the counter but she insisted it was already full. "I can sit on the elevated floor or stand. I don't mind. Please, just let me get on the bus." I pleaded.

When I sensed she wasn't that accommodating, I immediately talked to the boss. The boss knew me since I was a regular passenger in the past years (not anymore). After waiting for thirty minutes, I ended up on wait lists. Thank God!

Unfortunately, nobody canceled a seat but still they allowed me to get on the bus. The driver told me to sit on a special seat ( a conductor's seat actually).  

"This isn't bad as I expected!" I told my self.

When I was about to take the seat, the conductor refused and had his twelve-year-old nephew settled. The boy was also taking his chance. And they gave me this red plastic stool.  

"This isn't worse as I thought!" I comforted my self.

After all I insisted. So there's no room for complaints.

After all I didn't want to fight over just for a seat.The boy needed it more than I did.

After all I have been through a lot taking this bus. That's why I stopped patronizing this company for a long time. I had no choice.

There I was on a ten-dollar-red seat in between seats sitting uncomfortably. Not to mention the number of times I stood up because one passenger and a conductor kept passing by. That was part of it.

Suddenly, I was reminded of my anticipation back home. Then my sleepy eyes started tempting me. I wanted to sleep but I couldn't. I also ended sitting next to the guy I met earlier.

"Why is your seat different when we paid the same price?" he teased speaking in English.

"So you are teasing me?" I played back speaking in Khmer language.

Thanks to that funny dialogue. It helped a bit.

Minutes later, I decided to seat on the elevated floor (usually the bus here has). This time at the far side from where I was sitting first. A seat away from the driver unfastened and nothing to hold could be very dangerous. With one strong break a way, I'd be flying through the front mirrored window dead. It was a wise decision over discomfort. Safety first, you know.


At first it was cool and I rested a bit. But then I could not stand it anymore. The elevated seat was heating up my butt (from the machine under). Thanks to the cool air conditioner for it helped a bit. It was another discomfort. Imagine yourself in long hours standing position while the bus is running. I'm just telling a story here and not complaining. Anyway, I had the red stool back to get away with this elevated seat.

Again, thanks to the inquisitive Taiwanese guy. I had an awesome conversation with him.We talked for a long time and it helped forget the seemingly uncomfortable situation. It was an interesting talk one could not easily have with this kind of trip. I've learned a lot from him - historically, work wise, and even with cultural issues.

Before I knew it, we were already at the border. And he had to get off for work. He was not heading to Saigon like the rest of us. It was a good news for me then to have his seat to continue my long trip. And so the vice versa began.

Before I realized it, I was already sitting on a vacant seat comfortably - sitting and talking next to the boy who took the same chance; indulging the coolness of the technology; enjoying the bounty (boiled corns, roast peanuts, some cookies and drinks) since I do like eating while traveling; happily listening to music in my i-pod; beheld the scenery and took a photo; and then had an hour nap rested.


No comments: