Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Drained Brain



Were it not for humility, I wouldn’t be able to filter my brain and discover something extraordinary. It started with this effort I think along with willingness to embrace knowledge even though it seemed strange to me at the beginning. I just finished grad school at that time–proud and fulfilled, and hearing an advice like “empty your mind” from someone new to me was a crazy idea. But that professor was right. And so glad I listened to her. It took me to wrestle with my pride a little while though, but when I learned to humble myself, I knew something great was about to happen. Indeed great things did happen for countless times. What I am now as an ESL teacher I owe it to my mentors, co-educators, my learners, and to every institution who believes in me. But of course, it takes two to tango to experience growth and change.


It isn’t my utmost intention to elaborate in scientific or literal sense the uses of a filter because we all know this, but to use it as analogy between a drained brain and a clogged one. The former is someone who absorbs things and knows how and when to pour some unnecessary ideas down the drain. The latter is out-and-out the opposite and clings to that learning eternally. And if this clogged brain still exists, it is impossible to see or adapt or immerse into new things easily–or never at all. Perhaps my academic orientation was different, but I am not in the right position to condemn those who are in a different boat. All I can do is suggest and it is all up to the receiver’s call–it is a choice after all.

No comments: