Sunday, July 30, 2017

Full of Goodbyes



This month is full of goodbyes. And before I knew it, another special person bade farewell at noontime today. He was one of the young monks I had been teaching English for five weeks. It was a short time and wish I had known him better. He left for Sri Lanka to continue his journey as a monk for ten years. At fourteen, I find this milestone of him very strange. But he is not the only one doing the same voyage. I was told. His enthusiasm learning the language inspired me to keep doing the task. “Will you miss me teacher?” He asked me a few times, in a sweet voice. “Of course, I will.” I replied. Now I am starting to miss him. I know everything’s going to be alright for him. A decade seems a long, long way to count, and who knows, before I know it, I will see him again.


Three batches of volunteers have already gone back to their respective countries this July. And while I was writing the first paragraph of this entry tonight, another volunteer left goodbye. He was here for a week with his team to conduct a conference among young learners. His teammate has left before him last Friday in fact. And the rest of the team will leave tomorrow too. This boarding house will be quiet for a week but we are expecting another batch of guests the following weeks. And for every said ta-ta may tell a different story, but whether or not one is leaving or staying, it is just the same–the expedition continues. For now cheerio. Have a good trip! 

    

No comments: