Thursday, January 31, 2013

A THREE-BAHT TOUR


If I told my friends that I went to this three-baht-city tour, I'd probably get questionable remarks depending on facial expressions or tones.

"A three-baht tour?"  Wowed a surprised person.

"A three-baht tour?" One asked in disbelief.

"A three-baht tour?" Doubted somebody. 

"A three-baht tour?" Inquired a curious mind.

"A three-baht tour?" Someone burst in laughter.

"A three-baht tour?" Another person disagreed.

So, which of these reactions you'd exactly say? 

Well, I'll leave it to you to think of that! But sorry to disappoint a doubting Thomas, just had it last week in Bangkok. It required keenness to get that fortunately. I was surprised, myself, on the one hand.

Those who are familiar with the currency (referring to baht) will not find it easily believable. What is 3 baht anyway? The cheapest bottle of water this city can offer is 7 baht. And so any disbelief is totally accepting - no contest.

In my own world, we call it grace - even the poorest can still afford to enjoy. But as I said, it takes diligence and walks to find it. But too much dependence on taxi tells another story. I don't find it a problem at all as long as one has a lot of money to pay - not me though.

"Where are you going?" asked a guy from Poland whom I met earlier.

"I'm heading to the park." I told him.

It was one lazy afternoon when boredom struck me to death. So I had to go to this place just few kilometers away from Khao San Road. I'd been there several times - my favorite place to read books and spend siesta whenever I'm in Bangkok (at backpackers to be exact). There I went and so this new friend ended up coming with me. 

To make the story short, we continued walking around and took photos as we exchanged conversations. One spot a way has caught our attentions - a secret stairs which allured us to climb a step, and then another step, and then more steps we weren't even sure where it's heading to. But that curiosity turned in a wonderful afternoon - a walk through the bridge to get to the other side of the river, and a boat ride coming back a foreigner is surprised to know - a three-baht tour.

A three-baht tour yet filled wonders and awes - unveiling the beauty of nature and of man-made. 

You might not appreciate this, and it's no big deal, but how lucky locals must be for this service. A person doesn't have to walk through that bridge every time because there's another cheap option coming back or vice versa. 

Thanks to this public service.

A three-baht tour? 

Yes, it was, and one of a kind tour!

No comments: