Tuesday, October 15, 2013

SEE OFF



This phrasal verb can mean three things – whether to send away an unwanted person forcefully or to defeat someone so not to cause harm anymore or simply say goodbye to someone leaving – I am referring to the third description at the moment.

For more than three decades of existence, my day-to-day journey on earth doesn’t only evolve within leaving people behind, and so vice versa. I couldn’t even remember how many times have seen friends or family off. It’s my mission in life I think.

Many people say seeing off can be very uncomfortable. One reason for sure it always involves sad emotion or crying to see someone go away. Most of the time, it’s not easy to move on for both persons – to the one leaving and to the one left behind. Reality check, life is full of bittersweet scenarios.

That’s why I never like the idea when my family or friends see me off. I rather go alone to the airport because it’s difficult to endure the agony of loneliness. In my years of traveling, I was only seeing off by my love ones once.

Last week I was with friends at Phnom Penh International Airport again to see someone off to China. For certain, it wasn’t the first time this year. I might have a strange feeling a bit, but it’s because I’m just a normal being – now so immune to this goodbye stage of life.

In few days I’ll be flying home for the first time in half a decade, and so no one should see me off; I prefer it this way. After all, no matter the distance or longest the time may seem, I will see my friends again. I am one of those who hate to say goodbye.

As usual, I rang some friends and went to their homes to ask for prayers about this trip home – not to say goodbye. They don’t have to see me off specially Facebook is just a click a way.

“See you on Facebook, then!” a friend of mine assured.

“That’s it!” I said.

I’ve read a quote from Richard Bach once before and have liked it since then. It says, “Don’t be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before we can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.” I understand it’s not easy at times, but it’s very assuring – till we met again.  

Seeing someone off is necessary to many individuals and I’ve done this for countless times, but when it comes to me laving – NO SEEING OFF, PLEASE – my apology.

May we find grace in our daily travel!




No comments: