Thursday, October 17, 2013

Guesthouse





There is a guesthouse in one of the alleys in Saigon I know. It doesn’t take a sketch map to find the place – an address alone would do. Fortunately it’s the cheapest among others that a transient can stay for a night or so. But for people who are pampered with every luxury, this isn’t the right place to check in.

I’ve been coming in and out of this hiding place for years – not to seek for political asylum or hide away from people – instead it’s the only affordable accommodation to take advantage to these crisis days. Of course, it’s still expensive compared to the one I know in Cambodia.

Traveling to noisy city like this, you have to buy the tranquility of the night expensively or else you’re going to be awake until the break of day. On the contrary, if the din of the traffic or the honk of cars or the unpleasant sound of life at night is no big deal to you, an inexpensive place is fine then.

Prior to this, I used to have another hideaway in the past, the cheapest deal I thought, but the environment was so raucous to bear including all those earsplitting sounds I could hear. It took grace to be at peace with the world despite the presence of deafening clatters around.

Let me call this guesthouse a cave – once you are in, you’ll be isolated from the busiest and nosiest world – you could sleep the whole day undisturbed except when there’s an insensitive guest who likes banging doors. I am used to it, if not I wouldn’t be coming here again and again until this very day.

Not my favorite place so to speak, but I don’t have to have the elegance of things to experience grace from day-to-day – not if I am a difficult person.

Been around everywhere, and my journey time after time have taught me so much about life – form scarcity to profusion, and from drought to abundance – the extremeness of each is too obvious – Thank God, haven’t slept in the street so far. And my heart breaks seeing many who are truly on the margins. Then who am I to whine about every little thing?

This is no comfy room to indulge, but if safety and simple shelter is what you’re after to, then you’re in. What can you expect for such a low-priced lodging anyway?

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t always stay here whenever I‘m in Saigon – only when necessary or when my kind friends aren’t available to host me. If I had a choice, I would rather stay somewhere else or in the outskirt. I am so sick and tired to death of life in the city. This is when I needed more grace to grip.

“What does this rooming house include?” a friend asked me.

“A single bed, fan, TV, and a shared bathroom” I described.

Alas and alack, only those in the same boat could appreciate the blessing! And so, those who have been accusing me of living an elegant lifestyle, I think it is time for you to redefine your portrayal of me or your own meaning of the word itself.



No comments: