Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Unfulfilled Dreams



“Please, list down in a sheet of paper all your unfulfilled dreams so far.”

It was the given activity for the day to a group of young professionals (including me) during Sunday school – a task which I perceived every successful career person (excluding me) wouldn’t waste time giving a thought.

We did anyway and so discussed what we had in mind. But then let me bring out into the open some of what I had listed back there; written without observing a proper grammar:

  • No PhD degree yet
  • To become NGO’s adviser or consultant or  director
  • Never been to Korea or United Arab Emirates
  • To be part of Annual Bangkok Ultimate Frisbee Tournament
  • Make my own blog
  • Publish a book

And few more which I prefer nameless still – that if you believe in someone’s secrecy. If not, then you really are nosy.   

Two weeks or three after, I got a call from the Department of Sociology, University of the Philippines informing me that I didn’t make it for the applied program.

Few days later, came in the good one – I was admitted to Asia Graduate School (a.k.a. AGST) in full scholarship pursuing Doctor of Education in Adult Learning.

Years after, I was conferred by International Communicators Open University with another degree, Honoris Causa – Doctor of Education in English.

All this time, not even once I’ve browsed back an old journal where I kept my silent aspirations – seemingly unfulfilled – only few weeks ago. As I started paying each listed hope some attention, so reminded me of those ups and downs – now I’m laughing at those monsters of faith; in tears of joy.

Truly, it takes perseverance, hard work, faith, mercy, grace, and prayers. Before I noticed, I was already living my dreams (not everything though). And only one out of these six in the lists hasn’t come true yet – a trip to UAE or Korea.

I am hopeful still about it – in God’s perfect time.

Thank God for all these things!

How do you value unfulfilled dreams?

Well, I leave it to you to answer this question. But if you see me hanging out with dreamers, I pinch them and wake them up. I advocate and educate and encourage youngsters to keep pursuing their hopes in life.

Above all, I suggest dreamers to offer every aspiration to the Author of life – the Creator and Sustainer of every dream big and small.

No comments: