Saturday, December 15, 2012

A Musical Director



Suddenly this season reminds of something and of someone – a thing I fancied doing as a kid and as a teenager – the caroling; and a special person who has mentored me becoming a learned vocalist – my musical director.

Aside from those singing competitions I ventured boldly, being a house-to-house-caroler for years had also developed self-confidence in me. But learning at the
baton of a musical director like this one was another story, a wonderful experience worth retelling.

If not for him, I don’t think I’d be able to recognize the beautiful sounds of ebony and ivory or learn to play the piano… for free. He was my first piano teacher, who, without a doubt, invested his time for such a late- learner like me. I started playing at the age of sixteen.

Proud to say, he was the only voice teacher I had my entire life. Stuck on him was no regret at all – it was absolutely incomparable. He taught me a lot – versatility, passion, discipline, originality, uniqueness, and courage – he had all these unveiled just to fashion me as a freestyle vocalist. I doubt it if I’d be able to find a similar trainer like RBC.

Back to where I hailed from, there were like hundreds of gifted singers both famous and unknown. I belonged to the latter ones – not famous to cut to the chase. Yet, he eyed me and put me in his band, The Frontliners Band.

For years, I took every opportunity to sing, to learn, to grow, and to serve in the music ministry above all – through an instrument I considered a mentor, a big brother, a counselor – my humble trainer.



He created this band for youngsters like we were, as God’s purchased talents by grace. I only had one awesome band my whole life. I know, I’m too biased here or sounds so ego, but that’s the truth. I loved my band and so honored to have a musical director like this man. For sure it isn’t a mortal sin to love your own.

It was his generosity to put me in his band, and performed with amazing talents – Ethel Ornido and Nicoline Chiong (our great balladeers), Erwin Ornido (a gifted pop and rapper), Pamela Tiu (our very own R&B/soul contender), Tisha Lopezvito (a trained pop artist), and Maritess Garcia (a mellow classical singer) – with one thing in common – we shared the same teacher, one musical director, Mr. Robert Bermoy Chiong.

Never have I been so proud my whole life than sitting at the feet of him to be musically inclined or as far as music is concern - only when I was under the care of this musical director – in good side.

I don’t mean forgetting the rest of my mentors. In fact, I’m also thankful and indebted for each special way and for every journey we had together. It’s just that, I didn’t stick as much as I did with my first mentor. The first teacher-encounter usually leaves a lasting impression whether a good mark or a nightmare.

When I finally left the group and moved on to a different direction, a paradigm shift, it was actually a sad feeling. But life is filled with dilemmas. And it was time to soar my own. Yet it was also undeniably true that I kept missing my old band amidst in the group of new and gifted singers.

I am so missing everyone in the band. But past is past, as many would say it. They’re now memories my mind likes to think back.

“Where am I now as a singer?” In case one would ask.

Well, I’m in the sideline… sometimes people questioned my capacity and sometimes they doubted my ability, and sometimes they mocked me for telling my experiences.

Who cares?

I am surrounded with friends who knew who I am. I don’t need an affirmation. Of course, thanks to foreigners who always give me kind words for speaking the truth.

At least, I am happy with my life using this God-given talent. I still sing though but seldom. As always, I’m thankful to the Father for the opportunity to bless every newlywed couple a song or few.

This year, I had three engagements, and early next year I’ll have two engagements to sing so far.

And again, I owe this crafting and development to my musical mentors especially to the one and only musical director I admire for years – no other than but Robert Bermoy Chiong.

I thank God for his life.


No comments: