Monday, December 10, 2012

A Phrase



Back in Saigon since late last night, but no more “surprise” talk although it’s still around appearing. If I talk more about it, then I won’t be able to write something else – about this phrase.

If you aren’t updated with what I do, aside from blogging anyway, furlough brought me here – in a long while – the shortest and the cheapest one worker could have. I’ll be in the city for the rest of the year, not wasting time hopefully, but to enjoy the season and is here for the Annual Asian Ultimate Frisbee tournament.

So don’t wonder if I am stuck in this coffee shop at the moment. That’s what I meant to enjoy my holiday with a cup of hot coffee in my hand. The story happened here as well this early morning.

“Give me your ticket!” she told one of the VIP customers for like three times.

So there I went, trying to be nosy but with an intention to help. Aside from education wise, I think I’m really called for this – to offer help or unsolicited advices.

“Excuse me, ‘Can I have your ticket, please!’ is more polite I think.” I whispered in Vietnamese.

Thank God, she was very receptive and humble, and so it was worth reminding her.  

I’m not saying that she is rude or impolite, but it’s just the proper use of a phrase. Maybe none of her teachers put an emphasis on this one when she still learned the language.

Well, she isn’t the only one, I’ve been an advocate for this small thing called “ethics’’ in years whether in one-on-one encounter like this young lady or a huge group of young professionals and young people.

If you visit those kids in the village I worked for, you’d notice their know-how on the differences between a slang phrase or an informal phrase or a formal phrase. I put so much importance on this stuff because they should know them.

Even Asian like me dislikes being asked “What is your job?” It’s the same initiated feeling someone flicked my ears. These kids know the other way instead “What do you do for a living?” It sounds right, I think.

A phrase is still a phrase – it can drive a client away or win somebody round.

And a phrase is only a collection of both familiar and unfamiliar words – one just has to say it appropriately at the right place, at the right time, and for the right purpose.

No comments: