Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Facebook Folks


So freak it may seem, but I’m keeping two FB accounts for all you know – one, is to get in touched with my Ultimate Frisbee friends and foreign friends; and another account is created for my Filipino friends, family, and/or community. Don’t worry, it doesn’t mean I’m racist.

Two FB accounts??? At least this person (ME) is aware that he’s not alone. Worse than him, others signed up several accounts surprisingly. Then one or two isn’t that much to indulge. I guess! 

Now it’s been a while- almost five years as an active user – count not those spins of time I’ve missed.

Don’t ask me for I still remember the first day got addicted to this viral network. Fortunately, Facebook doesn’t lie but keeps records accurately. Now that it has a timeline, it’s easy to figure out which date one signed up - mine was on the 23rd of February 2008.

Facebook back then wasn’t that famous to first timers like me, and to Friendster aficionados. I could not even find one familiar friend wish had in the lists.

That’s when only few people know what this craziness is.

In a short span of time, an evolution one couldn’t wait to happen exists - turns almost every creature in and out of the cyber world a fanatic; captures everyone’s heart in all walks of life becoming subscribers including the kiddies and the oldies.

Boom! It hits a lot of us; it’s faster than any rumors you’d hear through the grapevine. Before we knew it, we are “all” (talking to FB members only) mesmerized by this enticing social network.

To my amazement, one familiar chum after another showed up with endless invitations and accepts to count - even the unreachable have appeared from nowhere. From just 50 friends at the start, now there are 586 of them includes my family, relatives, classmates, schoolmates, and colleagues or simply friends in the name of Facebook.

Sorry to say, I’ve unfriended a lot necessarily, and so they don’t count.

There you’ll meet the friendliest mammal has ever lived on earth. So amazing that even a person one hasn’t met his/her whole life yet suddenly becomes a close friend – only on Facebook.

With much jaw-dropping, one begins to realize that it’s only here on FB we can find the thoughtful person God has ever created.

Freak or FB member has always something to look forward to – let’s say a chat with friends; an endless ‘like’ signs maybe from a shy follower for posting pictures on the wall; a comment left by loud ones would do, I hope, for such a beautiful quote one has composed; a private message from someone special is another anticipation I assume -whichever it was said; of course, the many kind and encouraging words one can receive and give in all occasions should not be excluded.

And my favorite thing is uploading bulk of photos every now and then – my album will testify for me.


What a colorful FB world this is! Everyone seems happy and active (or addict to the extreme) to what this creative thing has in stored. Sure enough no one would want to miss a thing. It’s so tempting to the bone.

Then it mellows down. Not really, rather it’s actually the subscriber that mellows down..

I miss those days when friends known and unknown were still very friendly and thoughtful. Now, they’re like living dead - the more you’re visible, the invisible they exist. Oh, it don’t matter how many ‘hello’ or ‘how are you?’ you’ve messaged, don’t wish, they will continue to be transcendent.

Suddenly, everyone becomes so busy, but I’d be conclusive this time – THEY ARE JUST RUDE to ignore one’s thoughtful act or kind gesture. They can give so many alibis they can, but it’s not an excuse for being rude. Even a dear family isn’t an exception to this.

My unsolicited advice: DON’T CLICK THE CHAT SECTION TO KNOW YOUR ONLINE FRIENDS IF YOU COULD NOT STAND THEIR SILENCE. But if you don’t mind, then it’s another story – just don’t behave like they do.


Facebook has always been a window for me to see the kind of people we are – so no regrets for subscribing.

It has been a huge door (used to be an open door) as well wherein I can come freely rejoicing with people who are truly blessed, celebrating with the ones are literally happy, sympathizing with the wounded hearts, praying for and with people struggling in life. I wish I understand truly what this network is because it is now simply a network.  

It’s no longer the same like it was not so long ago. FB friends are now becoming unreachable. I’ll be conclusive again, I think we’re just consumed with greediness befriending people of only the same statuses or with people you only feel like talking or with people who can only give and share your expectations in life.

Yes, it’s your prerogative. No contest!

I just pray we’ll all realize the other side of this, for example, that there are friends in our lists still who need our cares or a few, spare time just by saying, ‘hi, how are you today?’  This would really make one’s day happy –but not to FB snobs.

It’s simply network!

I hope have grown up enough while trying to understand that it is always a choice - after all it is. I’d like to remind myself that it is always one’s decision to be friendly and thoughtful enough.

Then let not FB snobs ruin the rest of my day for their arrogance and rudeness.

Thank God, Filipino has such a famous proverb like this: “Bato-batu sa langit, ang matamaan huwag magalit.” I’d be glad to quote it then. I may have the dumbest translation for this, but i prefer to say it this way – “To whom it may concern.”

Good day FB folks!


No comments: