Tuesday, August 7, 2012

AN AUTHOR


He’s no stranger to me and so am I to him.

We were eight thousand miles away or so when we chatted last Sunday. He was in wet New York, he told me, while I was in sizzling Phnom Penh.

“Did you join the Palanca this year?” he started a familiar conversation in Tagalog.

“No I didn’t. I haven’t been home in a long while.” I replied.

Our casual online chat went on as we exchanged and answered questions. One question however opened the floodgates of my imagination as he took me to his creative world.

He has never been that prolific in giving me comments, but this time he was. I was surprisingly overjoyed! I didn't expect that - what started out as small talk - would turn into a lifetime investment.

I needed to pay extra attention to everything he said to learn the many tips he shared - from simple to complex - about creative writing. And so I owe him all these eye-opening and aha moments on how to be an imaginative writer.

Actually, he has been my critic for many years. He was the first one to read my drafts as well as my final manuscripts. But he has his own way of looking at somebody's work which does not involve spoon feeding so it takes a certain level of attentiveness to get his point.


I learned them by heart.

He’s not an imaginary friend - we're friends on Facebook; we’ve exchanged emails for years; we’ve spoken through phone; we've texted each other countless times; we were churchmates; and we're brethren in Christ most importantly.

But nothing can change the fact that he's my favorite writer.

I met him thirteen years ago in Manila when I served an elite congregation - his home church. I was an intern serving as Youth and Choir Director. Back then, JR just finished high school and yet he was already a fulfilled writer, a famous one, a BIG timer. He won the Palanca more than once and other competitions - extremely gifted and talented.

Since then I have become an avid fan. I’m so blessed to have all his winning entries, copies of which he gave me personally. It was a joy to a hopeful writer. And I've been keeping them for years.

But there were things I always looked forward to from him - it was the privilege to listen to his words of wisdom. It was an honor to hear his stories of victory giving me the opportunity to learn from his experiences. Above all, it was so kind of him to encourage me to pursue my passion.

He was already a writer and when I was trying to be one. I am far older but I look up to him as an experienced writer. And JR is the one who influenced me to pursue this gift.


"You have the passion which some writers don't have." he would say to give a compliment. I'm so grateful for such a down-to-earth writer like him.

A writer is always a writer even though he studied a different major in La Salle. It's in his genes and no one can take that away from him. Years later, he pursued law in Ateneo de Manila and passed the bar exams becoming a lawyer. After working in manila, he went to Singapore for further studies and finished Master of Law. Now, he's in New York for one final exam. This new direction probably kept him from writing a lot but he still has the wisdom of a creative writer.

He's always been there for me in this journey. Thanks to him a million!

I haven't seen him in years although we keep in touch online. And so last Sunday was one of the most memorable chats we had. My favorite one. That's when I learned and relearned many things, old and new, on how to become a creative writer. I owe them all to JR.

Actually, I'd love to share these golden rules to other writers as well but not this time and not on this site.

My favorite author told me that his mom won another Palanca first prize this year, and if she wins one more first prize, she'll be in the Hall of Fame. So happy for their blessings and accomplishments.

JR also told me that he'll be joining Palanca next year. He also encouraged me to consider it.

I think I will.

Then we bid goodbye sure enough we left each other best wishes and blessings.

A friend, a brother, a businessman, a servant, a lawyer, professor, an ambassador or whatever he may become in the future, he'll always be my favorite writer - the one not transcendent.

Think I'm just so blessed got a friend who happened to be writer, and a writer who happened to be good friend or both whom I can count on to as well.

Thanks JR!

    

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the special mention on this post. Call us when you;re in town. Ate grace (PVGC)

BIG AL said...

Hello po Ate Grace, thanks for dropping a line. Yes, i'l let u and JR know for sure when im in town. God bless po!