Thursday, January 28, 2016

The Dorm

 
 
No, not the school dorm, it is but a refuge only tourists are familiar with or tough ones would enjoy. My guess is that the idea of this business is taken from that perhaps since everything is almost similar. If you haven't been backpacking or don't have a know-how what it is like, then please do google.
In Singapore it is called a hostel where tourists are host in one big room–a bed spacer and so uncomfortable for people who isn't used to this kind of environment. It is not even a cheap accommodation in that country. Ten years ago it was already twenty dollars per person, a day.
This is my temporary home for now. I am not really a fan of this living quarters except when I'm in a budget tight. One good reason for people to like it is the joy of meeting people from different parts of the world. Half true, half not–at least for me. There are many ways and places to meet new folks. This is just one of them.
Of course, I am no stranger to this traveling lifestyle because I had done it years ago and I've been living in the same dorm here in Laos since last year–my third this time. I prefer cheap rooms still.
I can tell lots of advantages and disadvantages there are staying at the dorm, but I am not going to do that. For sure not all my friends can stay in such a place unless he or she is driven by a no-choice-circumstance.
Not to sweet-lemon the scenario, but if I'm only financially able in my transition period here in Laos, I'd still want to live in a cheap room alone-that is way better. I think when you get old your preference also changes. But having a privacy whether in traveling or settling is one big factor.
Also it is not that I'm ungrateful for this provision right now, I just feel that staying here too long is very uncomfortable. I have been living here these days for a month now. If not for this part time job, I won't be here up to a certain moment. I may be friendly and active, but I need a quiet time alone for my own personal agenda. And this is not the right place for such desire.
This is my non-permanent work of place at the present–granted by grace–and also only for those who are willing to learn and adopt something.You don't find it easily that a family or a host to give you a special treatment. It is grace indeed.
Do I like it here? Yes and No!
Staying in this dorm gave me opportunity to meet new, good friends which I would not have had met if I've stayed somewhere else. That is only one of the things. Not to mention all the other good memories had happened right here.
It is a no because I don't like the other insensitive tourists who couldn't differentiate between cultural sensitivity and cultural identity. And many more which I just like to keep them myself.
Dorm is dorm and it is someone's choice to take a pleasure or not. But it feels so glad that I am part of this domicile obviously not my own. 




No comments: