Friday, July 17, 2015

Compassion




“What is compassion? I want you to write an essay about compassion. This is a psycho test. I’m waiting.” He would tell his listeners for hours. The next day and following, he would convey the same message as he tried to engage in a conversation that seems doesn’t exist. And now I’m giving you hints in just a split second.

He does it in a busy restaurant–a dialogue between him and his imaginary students. He could do it the whole day through unless his suffering from periodic bouts of insanity halts. But when he speaks his mind no one can stop him–not even intolerant human beings or his captive audience.

Three weeks later, I saw him again at the same place in a predictable conduct–an annoying demeanor for small-minded strangers while a lesson to learn for those who are profound. Aside from being a quiet observer, it took me compassion to perceive him. “There is more to something than meets the eye.” I told myself.

I knew it and I was right.

By the look of things, he was an ESL teacher with consuming passion and big compassion for his learners, and yet didn’t really know how to fit in to that particular culture perhaps. It happened to others I know and to me personally as well. But if it took him his sanity for such a disappointment or failure or something else, then it’s out my judgment. All I can say is that even to his odd behavior his compassion has never left him.

When the monks’ assistants approached him few times for some help, he gave them alms–only a tolerant or kind person would give–he did. He speaks Thai and so I will assume that he must have acquired from this specific culture a good moral to define compassion–now he classifies himself with them.  

One time, there was a fire just close to that restaurant, I heard him whispered a prayer. “Please burn the building, but keep the people from burning or dying.” He prayed again and again and then back to his routine. He must have been benign and sympathetic in many ways in the past (and still is). We should not really judge a person from the outside appearance alone–it should be inside out–for even a person with madness is capable of showing care–sometimes a lot better than the normal ones.  

He treated the waiters with respect and kindness. It was unbelievable. And I was surprised big time. If you compare him to other customers, it seems they are the ones who have mental problems for mistreating waiters.

This guy has also compassion for vendors by showing them support buying their stuff and food. It’s like he knows their hearts and how much they earn. Simple thing as this but it takes goodhearted people to notice.

Why such a compassionate, white man would lose his sanity? I don’t know. And as far as my limited knowledge is concern, I will never be able to answer this query. 

If I am to put somebody in the picture about a situation–the choice of showing compassion–I will show him/her this person as a good example–for even at his unwanted circumstance he is still able to do it. It is a shame though that a lot of people who have healthy minds are the ones selfish, arrogant, indifferent, and mean. It’s a choice after all. I rather journey with this kind of person (who knows he is an angel in disguise) than to be with sane individuals and yet very apathetic–full of evil desires. 



No comments: