Wednesday, June 24, 2015

A Friend Indeed




No one can define what a friend is in just one day or even a year. I trust my instincts that neither big word nor complex word will be able to convey its meaning in this very little amount of time or else it is magic. But if someone is able to do so, surprise, surprise, I must seek counsel from that person.

I can’t–not even these past five months–when emptiness struck me without mercy and when lonesomeness burned me up without a friend in the world. “If you want to know who your friends are, wait till you are in your desolation.” Now I remember. It’s true indeed!

This is the perfect time to describe a friend and who isn’t; it is an ideal moment to put myself in the picture as well–sad and yet true–I really couldn’t count on my friends to help me. But I made up my mind to keep going whether friends be false or few.

As always I was very reluctant to open up my needs and cares to my friends. I was right about my feelings for countless times. And whenever I did, I usually made enemies. Not that I waged war or picked an argument, but it was the silence they gave me in response. They just pretended I don’t exist. It happened a lot and so used to this silent war.

So I carried my burdens alone this time than pretend I have good people around. It’s been twenty long weeks, but I was hopeful that each misery has an end. I gripped grace more than others I think. Now I am seeing hints of look-in for the first time in five months. And this deserves a mention in this blog–more than that, a story worth retelling.

Culturally he can’t be my friend since he is far older, more experienced, and widely knowledgeable than I am. That’s how it is in this domicile. But in my heart he is more than all this cultural perspective. True friendship knows no bound–not age or status or race.

Again for the second time, he helped me define friendship through his life-example that none of those I consider friends had done for me in my deepest isolation the past one hundred fifty days. He is the real angel for me.    

I actually featured him once here before. And like those unexpected gestures he had done in the past, he did it once more this time without hesitation. I promise will elaborate his down-to-earth rally round in one of my posts next month.

Since he stepped in to the rescue, I have never been happier these depressing months. The smile on my face along with laughter tells the joy within. I am so deeply indebted to this person for this unexpected answer to my prayer. 

He is an angel and a friend indeed!




No comments: