Saturday, May 23, 2015

Nostalgia




One of the favorite stories about kindhearted people that I love to tell and retold over and over and over perhaps was written in an unpublished book–“At the Feet of Generous Ones”–a seemingly inexhaustible narrative of miracles, grace, and life-examples. I wrote the book myself as an expression of my deepest gratitude and a way to cherish each experience eternally. 

This post is just a tiny extension of my gratefulness–another nostalgic moment–when merit after merit never ceases–certainly it’s not a dejavu. I’m reminded once more. And for a hundred times, I will articulate it again this time…“If not for those goodhearted individuals, I don’t think would be able to tell apart kindness from not.”

We took our friends on a sightseeing tour of the famous night market last Wednesday. There were few interesting things to give notice to, but my attention was captured by those young Khmer boys who ate people’s left over, which they desperately grabbed from stall to stall. I didn’t care how others deemed, but it really broke my heart. If I didn’t journey with angels my younger years, my perspective about this situation would be cruelly different.

Wished I had money that time to buy them food to eat, but I didn’t have any. It’s not the end of time yet, I’m going to see those kids again, I know. I already had a plan in mind though–a simple treat of kindness would be great. I want them to see and feel goodness like I experienced myself from caring people.

Although I’ve written few books and lots of stories regarding kindness, it doesn’t mean I am a kind person as well. It takes genuine action and a real-life-involvement to explain its essence or grasp the word itself. I still have difficulty defining.

“Being kind is a cultural thing!” this is what some people say. Because it is not everybody’s way of life or someone is used to seeing and doing. But isn’t it hospitality knows no bound? And so being a giver.

For me it is but a willingness to share without hesitation. That’s what I had learned at the feet of generous ones. To be compassionate or not is determined by how much one is eager enough to touch lives–it is not an alternative–it is a choice.

I fail to see why so many human beings are so greedy even if they have enough. After countless evidences and extraordinary examples of bighearted persons, I still see a lot of people don’t get the drift.

More than just this feeling of nostalgia–pondering my past journey–this is what I have been looking forward to this year–jotting down every wonderful journey with angels. It is not because I want to be the recipient of their virtuous gestures, but simply to learn from them and be amazed.

For me, there is no such thing as Kindness 101 for there’s no single quiz or test or essay or practicum to be able to measure its worth–it’s a lifestyle or a choice to make. One must experience it firsthand to understand what’s behind this gesture. 


No comments: