Friday, January 9, 2015

A Tiny Tot




I had a tiny guest this morning–too adorable to resist–a gift from heaven I wish mine. But he is somebody’s child whom I considered a friend more than just a boss for once in my life. Not anymore! 

My adopted daughters had brought him to school for a morning walk. I was just thinking about this cherub when they came. It’s funny, right? Maybe my guardian angel had my longing whispered in their ears or someone else did. 

And so I played with this babe in arms like there’s no awful history to look back–a silent war I didn’t initiate or expect–a broken relationship between me and his father, which I don’t want to mend again. Enough is enough! I had done my part for countless times. 

Every time I looked at this little creature, I couldn’t help but wonder. “Will he be like his father when he grows up?” my conclusive thought inquired. It’s still early to tell for sure, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

My family would probably react angrily if they knew the whole story. But I didn’t tell them because there’s nothing to be serious about. It’s a normal stuff we all go through. 

Deeper than this situation, a promise is a promise and I’ll keep it for as long as I can. This sweetheart is a godchild of mine even if he’s a fiend’s son. And he has nothing do with his father’s greediness and evil intention or responsible for what his father had done.

Humanly speaking, there’s a tendency for us to just say “like father, like son”–that if you listen to your illogical thinking and unstable emotion alone–not for me to buy this way of thinking. It’s pointless. My father was practical and intelligent in many ways, but I’m a loving and a caring person. That’s what makes me different.     

Even it takes baby sitting this tiny tot to fully grasp what’s like journeying with angels, I don’t mind because it’s a learning process–it’s a character check something out of the ordinary. I love my innocent godchild and he’s no enemy. 

From the moment he was born until today, it was always an opportunity to bless this little boy and to spend time with him. My affection for him hasn’t changed despite what had happened. He will always be a tiny angel…for now. 

As I cradled him in my arms today, I said a little prayer: “May he grows up kind–and not greedy; loving–and not indifferent; caring–and not apathetic; selfless–and not selfish. Above all, I wish that he won’t follow the footsteps of his covetous father.”


No comments: