Sunday, December 29, 2013

Somebody's Children





These aren’t mine biologically – not even a shared kinship, but they call me “daddy” – an address that breaks my heart and makes me joyful at the same time knowing what this truly denotes.

Some of them have abandoned by their own fathers – it’s the sad part while I took the courage to fill in that longing – the happiest part one unmarried guy should be proud about.

I have fathered few kids back home, and so in Vietnam, but it was only in Cambodia that I have fathered a dozen after a dozen. It was so overwhelming at first, but then it came naturally as I took every opportunity to reach out kids of this kind…a fatherless and motherless.

Obviously, I’m not qualified to be called father in the name of family code or constitutional law because of my marital status. And yet I have learned to embrace certain responsibility even if it took me defying the rules – when no one was there to prove their constitutional rights. More than that, it was an honor to fulfill such duty.

“I just don’t want to be a teacher or a mentor or a leader. I want to touch lives deeper.” This I remind myself again and again.

And in a country like Cambodia where older ones couldn’t befriend younger ones, it gave me an eye opening to stretch out my horizon reaching out children when classroom setting isn’t enough – by becoming a father aside from being a teacher or a big brother myself.

I didn’t have to be wealthy or wait till I get old enough to grab this chance; it was a decision a way. And I have no regret whatsoever following this call – which many people I know too who are in the same path.

Taking care of somebody’s children might be the craziest thing one could hear or a real hassle one person to take – not for me – it has been an honor to serve kids like these – where I was once as well.

Not ashamed to tell that I wasn’t fathered well growing up, but I have learned to move on and let go of the past. For in my father’s mistakes I have come to know the important virtue of a father. And if not for this lesson, I don’t think would be able to understand each fatherless or motherless kid.    

They call me daddy and I consider them like my own, but I am not denying the fact they are somebody’s children. Mine now is to help them and serve them while I am still able. I do promise this.

My only prayer is for them to follow this example when they have children their own. And that they will also willing to reach out other fatherless or motherless kids.

Yes, they are somebody’s children – it’s no difference to me at all – I am still their father.




No comments: