Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas Now and Before





Like any hopeful kids, I was always a fan of Christmas. Growing up with so much anticipation of the most wonderful time of the year – when it wasn’t too commercialized yet – all but celebrated with sincerity and meaning.

“I hope this never ends!” I wished, but that was before.

It was always a happy time to cherish. More than all those decorations, carols, gifts, and meals, the spirit of the season never dries. One could always feel it in the air.

Unlike the people of today, I think people in the past had a deeper understanding of this joyous day – we celebrated it differently back then – it was all from the heart.

My family isn’t a freak about this season, but for many years we were witnesses to how my neighbors and friends celebrated the season with true reasons. We were not into this of course, and yet we felt the joy in their hearts.

Where I come from, it wasn’t all about who gives who or who gets what, but about togetherness, love, and service – even the stranger is a family – even my family who never really celebrates Christmas could truly feel the joy of the season .  

From myth to fairytale to fact, I was very familiar with each story told and written – and so I could distinguish differences well even as a child – it was my favorite season to look forward to but not anymore.

If I was born in this generation, I don’t think would be able to believe Christmas or it would be difficult perhaps.  Look around you how selfish and greedy people are. Isn’t it Christmas is about giving?

And in spite of paraphernalia to make the season bright or elegant decors to add life or blinking lights to attract both non and believers, I don’t think would make a difference still. I wonder how others come to believe Christmas these days.

This is my 20th Christmas away from home, but it doesn’t matter because my family never really celebrates Christmas. I would rather prefer this way than celebrate the season outside the true reason.

Merry Christmas Everyone! 

  

No comments: