Monday, September 16, 2013

Labeling Me





“Why are you so smart?” he asked me to express his admiration.

“Thanks. But I’m just actually normal.” I said reluctantly trying not to draw attention to myself.

Not sure how much sincere he was for telling that though, but this isn’t what I got days before this conversation – from a local person whose eyes are only keen on white people – he was a different guy today.

I usually don’t get kind appraisals the first three hours in a dialogue; it takes a while for people to find that out or appreciate what I am good at. Maybe because I tend to avoid highly intellectual talks or preferred being playful or people perceived me the way I dress up or it’s not just in my look to possibly do unordinary stuff – and so I get this label most of the time – not a smart one.

Sorry to surprise friends a lot, but it’s not my intention to give someone a bolt from the blue of course. It is just a matter of personality. In fact, I’m also loud with my opinion but only if it is necessary.

Days before this awkward conversation, I was invited to play volleyball with my boss’ team. Showing off wasn’t the exact vocabulary, but to chill and have fun. I was trying to be modest, and so they’ve got me feeling I don’t play this particular sport at all. But I just did.

And days before this bizarre talk it was a different story. I was perceived as nobody (which I didn’t care anyway) because of the way I look. Since asked, so I had to tell what I do in years including my orientations.

Surprise!

We label people in different ways – it can be an assumption or a first impression basis or a very careful judgment or a reasonable and illogical feelings, etcetera. But mind you, whatever tag we put on someone, we should always leave room for correction.

Conclusions aren’t always right and so we must be willing enough to admit our mistakes. If not, just learn to simply say… “I stand corrected.” That if one is humble enough to let that imperfection be made known.

For this reason, people are being reminded from time to time one of the all time favorite sayings: “Don’t judge the book by its cover” – to avoid false perspective on someone or something – an assessment that requires repetitive analysis before jumping into conclusion – that’s I think a standard measurement.

Like I said, I never get the correct label as always, and so people are surprised to know the exact opposites of who I am. They must know me well first before throwing false ideas about me. Yes, we don’t have to taste the doughnut to know it is sweet, but that perception isn’t always applicable to every situation.

Remember that an assumption is different from thick description – it’s an old school thing I learned from the past – before setting a moral standard or cultural correctness – to avoid bad labels.

So don’t label me if you’re not sure what this little man can do. You better ask first.              





              

No comments: