Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Agonizing Travel



A trip to Paris or London or L.A. or Disneyland or the various wonders of the world, is the most enticing picture one can imagine about traveling – a clichéd assumption called leisure. But for people whose get-up-and-go existence is so attached to rigid travels, they think of the other side of the coin.

“How long have you been working as a journalist?” I asked my Level 8 student.

“About five months. I left my previous job because it required so much travel.” He replied.

Some people just detest going on a trip or barely travel or never at all. I’m not one of those sorts fortunately, but truth is not denying that it always requires patience and endurance to be on a long and winding road. Like in the case of my student perhaps, no matter how well paid the job, he is just not one of nature’s travelers.

Got no seasick or carsick or alto phobia or any fears related to travel, I’m probably in a transitional stage where my body is no longer tolerant of long journeys – trips I used to enjoy – thought I could still stand until these days. Every single cell and muscle is now complaining a lot about this seemingly endless voyage.

When traveling was so much fun to look forward to no matter how tiring it felt like; when trips were but adventures regardless of odysseys along the road; when travels looked like jaunts even if they weren’t – now an agony.

It’s really a pain in the neck for me especially going in and out of the same countries; sitting in the bus for long hours. But I’ve no choice except to hit the road oftentimes. It’s a chore. This is when traveling is no longer a pleasure but pressure.

I had it again last weekend – an unanticipated ride one tired person must take – an annoying dilemma – to go or not – both had cruel disadvantages. So I had to choose the agony because it was a necessity even if against my will.

Please don’t get me wrong if this seems whining to you because I am always thankful for every opportunity to wander and wonder and simply travel. It’s just that successive trips these days worn me out a lot unlike my younger years.

“Wow, you’re very lucky to travel a lot!” many friends told me this. I wish they knew the agony it brings at the same time treading the same path again and again and again – it’s actually very restless in my case, and maybe not for others.

Honestly, have enjoyed every travel I had in the past, but just don’t want to sweet-lemon the situation this time or insisting that something unpleasant is in fact desirable. I had enough of this trip countless times.

Another plead to insist, just don’t accuse me for being ingrato because ungratefulness and honesty are two different things. I am both thankful for this life and also transparent about my feeling on the one hand. I am not!

As a matter of fact, I understand that from this so called agonizing travel is where my finiteness unveiled as a stranger in foreign lands in need of grace.

From this agony is when God’s protection, strength, and provision also disclosed.

And from this unwanted flights where favor after favor is given.

                 

No comments: