Thursday, July 26, 2012

ONE LITTLE TEACHER

Normally, learners who come in at the center are capable enough to cope up with the designed programs. If we had ones who couldn't, then it's a rare case. It happened few times, but I always had people to give a hand. 

I trained them. 

I made sure a remedy in case it happens.

Thought had anticipated this case ahead, but I failed one thing. Not my mistake actually because these kids came in a month later. And so I was caught oh-oh about the situation. Besides, these programs are not for toddlers like their age. They're too young to be at the center.

I am not running an orphanage (laugh out loud) obviously, but sending these kids home is not the solution to this tiny problem at the moment. And so I had to encourage my kids to work hand-in -hand with me. And this one little teacher is one of those willing helpers.

Little in this context doesn't mean short or small. He's actually taller than I, and big enough to be classified a small boy. Calling this teenager (a 14-year-old) one little teacher simply means young.

He is the youngest teacher we have so far, but he can teach well. He's got big BRAIN, big HEART, big PASSION, and big DREAM for other kids too. "I want every student can speak better or fluent English" his constant admonition every time he's invited to give a short speech.

Theara, known for his name has been my interpreter for two years. He's a bright and studious student. He's hardworking in school, at the center, and at home. I'm very confident in his ability to explain things I couldn't - in Khmer of course. I featured him once sometime last year. I, the teachers, and friends here are always proud and happy for his accomplishments. We do!

This summer may turned in a slight different beyond expectation - having very young learners around, but my heart is at eased finally. Thank God for these willing individuals taking care of the kids in my behalf. If not for them, I could have sent back these kids home (if no one would teach them). 

Thank God for this one little teacher. 


No comments: