Wednesday, October 19, 2011

FUNNY AND CRAFTY LITTLE GRANNY

Photobucket

Seat No.20 – that’s it!

I had this seat booked ahead of time. Lo and behold, one funny little granny had just settled in. What can I do then? Kindness! Yes, but to show her this. And so I had her my spot seated.

“Est-ce que vouz parlez Francais?” She asked if I speak French. “Qui! Juste un peu” It means yes, a little. Only to find out she is a multi-lingual granny. Surprisingly, I haven’t met yet such a kind of granny my whole life here. She speaks four languages – French, Chinese, Khmer and Vietnamese.

At least three of these languages I do speak - enough to get a conversation. She was surprised to know about that. But I told her how I ended up speaking these languages.

Our conversation lasted for a while. And in that span of time we both figured out something. I - the friendliest mammal on earth while SHE - the funniest and craftiest granny I have known.

When she found out that I worked for an NGO, she then took the opportunity to plug in her agenda. But sad to say my organization caters drop out youths and not aged individuals. I didn’t want to give her false hopes, so I just told her I’d keep in touch if I know one in this endeavor.

Photobucket

She was very insistent about asking help. So she reminded me the whole time through. “I am poor and got no money. I am lonely and alone.” was her persistent pleading. So annoying! Thanks to my I-Pod!

She was crafty too, but I, a keen observer unluckily. She was a drama queen enough to convince someone of her personal things. She reminded me of another crafty granny back in our trip to Hoi Anh (central part of Vietnam) with my friend Andrew. I can her Andrew now bursting in laughter. She is just cunning!

How come this poor little granny has a passport?

And what is this traveling about?

Come on!

When I saw her counting money, she was defensive enough to tell… “Not mine!” She was with two grown up people – a grandson and a nephew. At the border, she handed some medicines she brought from Vietnam to a pretty granddaughter in her expensive motorbike. Poor, huh!

She got off the bus together with his family five minutes off the city. “Please don’t forget to help me. And good luck!” her last words. In that area, I bet she lives in a very conducive house. But I just could not understand her intention.

Well, enough with this inquisition, for now let me speak out my heart – she is the funniest and craftiest little granny I have conversed so far.

No comments: