Saturday, October 1, 2011

Boxes of Mahalo

For the sake of information, “mahalo” is a Hawaiian word for thank you. I’ve learned it from a roommate who speaks the language himself.

In whatever language this word (mahalo) is spoken, what counts is the attitude of the heart. That’s when we think and rethink of the plentiful grace we received each single day – surprised or looked forward to.

If one is thankful enough.

Now, I am un-wrapping every box with a grateful heart. And each box represents a reason and a story to tell.

I once thought last week that this trip was a dilemma, but it came out ironic. Surprised! At the closing of day a blessed reunion was prepared.

I am talking about my longtime friends from Honolulu while I was still in Saigon. Even electronics didn’t get us in touched for almost three years – now what a joy in their presence.

Photobucket
Photobucket

We always had get-together since they visit the country yearly. Sometimes we met up twice a year - but not when I moved to Cambodia. In whatever ways we gathered, each memory remains a lasting joy to cherish; and to be thankful about.

I was missed, so were they. Not enough time though, but that two-nights-gathering filled my longings to see them. And yet in a surprising way when thing wasn’t expected the most. As we sent them off goodbye, we hugged each one with a warm aloha and A big MAHALO.

Photobucket

Tito Randy and mate Andrew…. thank you so much for your life – I feel blessed.

Saigon is always a home no matter where I am; and no matter what destiny’s in stored for me. There is always a comeback – not for power or fame but simply to see friends missed. They are true friends in good times and in bad times (agreeing with the song).

So another endless mahalo my heart utters.

To Ate Eva, Ate Chona, Ate Sony, Ate Doris, Angie, Bhab, April, Ging, Tung, Nhan, Binh, IF Family, and Saigon Ultimate Frisbee Club – my sincere mahalo for the friendships.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Maybe I already have mentioned this in my previous write-up, but it’s worth retelling.

One of the many blessings I had here in Saigon was my landlady. She has been so kind to me up to this time point. As long as she is in the country (for she travels a lot), I’m always favored staying for free in one of the rooms at her apartment.

That I may enjoy the company of my friends who are staying the same apartment - whenever there is a party especially.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

So really kind of her!

Now I am enjoying my break and with a thankful heart.

A big MAHALO to you guys!

No comments: