Wednesday, February 22, 2017

My Son



Mi cha (fried noodles) for lunch, t'krolok (fruit shake) for snacks, bo or (Khmer porridge) for dinner- were inexpensive gesture of kindness, really, but it is not simplicity or extravagance what counts- it is actually someone's choice to bless. Yesterday was an unplanned reunion. The get-together of father and son was surprising and heartbreaking at the same time. He is one of.the sons I fostered for years. I thought, like the rest of them, he has gone to the city to chase his dream. He is now a cup bearer of the monks in pagoda.

He is an orphan like me and like thousands of  children around the world. That is why I can identify with his plight. I really do. "Daddy, I want to be a monk." he confided in reluctance. Silence. He knows this is not what I wished for Him he'd become but it is not my decision that follows on the other hand--it is his. "If this is what you really desire, then follow your heart." I said in a heavy heart. Whatever footsteps he will follow, I'm still his dad, and I will keep fathering and guiding him.

No comments: