Sunday, March 8, 2015

A Beautiful Detour










“Will you spend a night in my village?” my adopted son posed a question.

“I will try.” I riposted. 

It was his smart idea to ask me and also the safer answer I could give. We had this predictable conversation several times–we knew the scenario well–not a dejavu, of course.  

As usual I really never spent more than one night in my adopted son’s hamlet. And had no intention this time either–a night only–I thought. For one reason, the place isn’t interesting at all–it’s dry and boring. I came with him just to see his immediate family. 

Lo and behold, it was a very surprising turn. A night came and then another one and then two more nights–four nights all in all. It beats me how I defeated my prejudices against the place itself–without electricity to use, without clean water to enjoy, nothing to anticipate a life–but boredom and isolation–just staying home the whole, long day.

It started with a willing heart to understand that nothingness out there. I knew there was more to something than meets the eye. And my son was my angel who helped me see that. It was a beautiful detour of a lifetime.   

When I thought spending a night was like forever in agony–it was a journey indeed turned out wonderfully–full of surprises in the process and in the shape of something…

…Reconnecting to nature was the top in the lists not realizing I actually needed a quiet place to take a rest away from the hustle and bustle of the city–seeing, hearing, feeling, and tasting only what nature has in stored. I was like in hibernation. It helped relieved stress. 

…Character check, I needed that too. I have learned to be patient in the slowness of time and of things in the village–a lifestyle I once left back home. I assumed I won’t enjoy again. 

…I regained my strength physically. I was weak and was sick and had been coughing for the past three weeks. But when I got there, my sickness has gone. I came back yesterday healthy like I’ve never been ill.

…There were feastings with endless invitation to refuse. And not to mention, before us but a bounty of food to enjoy through the kindness of hosts whom we visited. 

See, you’ll never know what kind of life awaits you at times–whether it will flabbergast you or will amaze you. Thanks to my son, my angel, for this beautiful detour with him.  

Detour – The act of going or traveling to a place a way that is different from the usual or planned way.  –Miriam-Webster Dictionary–










No comments: