Wednesday, April 17, 2013

SUCH TEACHERS






Teaching is a gift, but even then truth hurts – for it doesn’t stop here – one must also work hard to embrace this vocation – this is what I personally thought. And so I exerted to the fullest in respect to those who are in this profession.

Another hurting reality, which left me in endless disbelief, is seeing fake teachers flourish, earning a lot more than those deserving ones. That’s when qualification or experience doesn’t matter anymore – not even the passion or inclination – thanks to these great pretenders of professing teachers.

A good friend of mine posted a message on Facebook wall sometime this month – to give updates on Filipino teachers being retrenched and not hired as ESL teachers in countries where English is a foreign language.

Am I sad?

YES and NO!

My heart is with those who are highly qualified and experienced educators. More than this possessed gift or knack, I truly understand your passion deserving a spot. This makes me really sad– kicking out a certified/licensed/eligible/experienced teacher over an inexperienced native speaker – shame on them. It’s not our loss anyway.

No, and so intolerant to Filipinos who claim to be ESL teachers; who think teaching English is the easiest way to earn money; who don’t have a deep understanding about this line of work. Sorry for being too harsh but leniency doesn’t make any better.  

Don’t get me bad because I actually understand that we all need to earn a living, but that is not the way things are in ESL world. We must consider those who are in this path for many years – we just cannot come and leave wrong impressions or awful imprints to learners and institutions.  

Again and again, I didn’t become an ESL teacher once I boarded the plane. Although I had it obviously – a God given flair – it took crafting and fashioning and developing my gift in teaching – it even took hesitant years to affirm because I didn’t want to be complacent about it.

When confronted with a challenge, I yielded without wrestling. I knew it will bring good things in time. But I had to set aside my pride apart from my experience teaching in years, and my academic orientation along the lines. I had to take intensive classes in ESL along with those who believe in the name of professionalism. That’s why we are guaranteed to teach English anywhere in Southeast-Asia – we earned it.

Such teachers make mistakes – to learn from that.

We practice our crafts – to do better the next time.

We study our lessons – to familiarize them more than just perfection.

Such teachers develop their gifts – to remain current and relevant.

We work hard – to avoid complacency and stagnancy.

We are teachers and this is the track we chose – not a dilemma – it’s a calling that deserves respect.

While others don’t really care – they’re only for the money or something else.

Learners or parents or institutions don’t care too – they are after the skin – not really a native speaker – it’s simply business.

Isn’t it funny how Asians (whose English is a foreign language) think every native speaker can teach? 

Oh no, not at all! It’s but a shame.

Such teachers – the great pretender or the irony of it all – pick a stand!





No comments: