Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A DECADE


 “I killed two birds in one stone.”

Let me begin with this long forgotten idiom – to celebrate two specific achievements in a single action – successes, which I wouldn’t have without those heroes and monsters of faith – they deserve a loud mention.

To have a sneak peek about my past – not much, really – I was just a boy with a typical dream to finish college, and then work – nothing unique. Now, it’s my tenth year of commemoration aside from endless thanksgiving and praise within these years for the blessings.

“He won’t make it to Grad School” she said, one of my monsters of faith. She had been treating me like this in the past – I wasn’t her favorite student, and vice versa. When I topped the comprehensive exam, she didn’t congratulate me but spoke words to break my heart.

She was right! I couldn’t have done it…without His sufficient grace. And looking back at grad days; at that time when I took the greatest challenge I’ve ever known, can’t help but ask my self… how did I really do it? It wasn’t just about hard work or intellectuals, it was about God’s mercy that abounds – that’s when I understood what a gift is.

Thanks to discouragement, it made me tougher.

Thanks to my heroes of faith, they taught me the toughest way besides moving on.

Exactly a decade when I left the training ground – the one and only Alliance Graduate School – this makes me so grateful for being an alumnus – it’s the life itself aside from having an ace up your sleeve or the benefits of burning eyebrows.

It changed me as a person – more than just a learned being – someone who is rooted in the word to minister to the world.

The experience widened my cross-cultural perspective – driven by love, compassion, and servanthood – not by religious affiliation or denomination – it’s my identity with the Master in fact.

My worldview has changed as well – for the better – in understanding insiders deeper; serving without whining; a balance between social action and love (praxis); by putting aside my cultural standards; and a lot more.

I totally agree, it’s just a degree or an added credential or a title or position, but what matters most is life’s application or life in the field experience – we call it “LIFE” during my days at AGS. And behind this exhausting academe displays the faithfulness and the sustaining grace of the Father.

And oh, I graduated with honors – for God to disprove my monsters of faith of their disbeliefs – and for me to amaze the wonders of Him who calls me. 

Now it feels like home in the foreign land.

The same year in 2003, was blessed with TESOL certificate, which gave me opportunities to teach English in Vietnam and Cambodia – my bread and butter; a passage way to reach out young people and adults where English is a foreign language. Above all this, it’s another wonderful experience – a gift beyond what is called expectation.

I have grown so much as an ESL teacher – not just in experience but in character for sure.

I have won countless friends to name – students, teachers, volunteers, and simply learners – TESOL has been opening doors and windows of knowing people in all walks of life.

“I killed two birds in one stone!” It’s true, but that big “I” here isn’t me – He is but my God, who sustains me all these years. My role is only to rejoice, to give praise and thanks, and to be in constant reminder – not only within this decade but in more decades to come.


No comments: