Saturday, February 9, 2013

Somebody's Discomfort, Someone's Craft

I'm not a model, just trying to be one of them


Few clicks or more of this, but definitely not one - you'd hear this annoyance once you'd spend time with me in a trip or even in a simple walk around downtown. Some friends typecast this a self-obsession, but I prefer the other way - collecting memoirs.

Absolutely not a camera shy or allergic to photos, but I wasn't born a model; not in my genes. At times, I felt like yielding to instinctive whispers and start having faith in the alluring possibility of becoming a model, but it's just a make-believe. I know.

I modeled once in a while only in my room - not big time. For one reason, this is someone's craft and not mine. To think of a person as the subject of a photo shoot, I couldn't imagine how uncomfortable it must be to come out with an epic result. But then it's not about somebody's discomfort, it's all about someone's strength. That's why I'm not a natural model.

And so thanks to this one time opportunity (for now) - an odd one I'd say to steal someone's profession or career - modeling just for few minutes. It explained why such a craft is not an easy thing as many people thought.

"Excuse me, can you model one particular shoot for us?" she asked me with no hesitation.

"Ah, O.K." I replied back, surprised.

The first three sets weren't that uncomfortable although they involved complex movements and repetitive takes for the sake of perfection - the last two sets were.

"I'm sorry, can you model for two more sets?" she pleaded for more.

That was then the start of uneasiness along with an endless click and annoying do something over effort. They were those awkward sets that required professionalism and gifted models to stop the annoying sound of the camera or to satisfy the photographer's concept.

I had to do some bizarre eye-to-eye shots with a person I considered a stranger, vice versa. And did few more to complete the sets. And I don't think leaving the scene would make a difference.

"Click!" pressed the photographer his last shot.

I felt an incredible sense of relief, thank goodness. But minutes before that was a another story - this guy (ME) was in total agony. I couldn't wait to finish the task and just walk away. And one opportunity a way made me think how difficult it is to be a model. 

Again, so thankful for this experience still, but I can't hold this thoughts back - somebody's discomfort, someone's craft - that's how I perceived it.

P.S.: For the sake of confidentiality, I preferred not to mention the place or event where this particular story happened. Sorry about that.

One of the photo shoots I had to play around.

No comments: