Thursday, June 21, 2012

Catching Up Laos: Saved Two Dollars

My second to the last article for this series. Gonna have one more to publish soon. Spared to pay two dollars seems small to care about, but it was like hitting a jackpot actually. It was to be honest!

I had mentioned this scene once in my previous post – One’s Friendly Thought. There I was freaking out in silence about buying my rights. I had to pay 4 USD to get out and get in of the borders; and another $4 coming back. For sure, a lot were in the same boat. I wasn’t alone to feel this way.

We had different responses on the matter - some were so tolerant although they didn’t like the idea; some were loud enough to speak out their minds; some didn’t care at all and just paid; while I played safe not offending anyone although I totally disagree too. It served a lesson since I wasn’t told.

The next time around I set aside exact amounts for such spending. It was already anticipated I’d be facing the same process coming back to Cambodia. But a little change had happened (in my part) unexpectedly. I saved $2 and was spared to pay in Cambodia’s border. I was really overjoyed.

It’s really disappointing to give some money when you know it’s not supposed to be. No matter how hurtful it is to know, sometimes you just had to or else you’ll in trouble. And no matter how disturbing it may seem, I’ve learned my way – deal with it for awhile.

I figured out something though. When I saw citizens didn’t pay anything going in (to Cambodia), it gave me an idea immediately. But I had to speak the language to do that. I kindly asked the immigration officers to exempt me from paying since I am a volunteer in the country. They agreed after have asked me few questions about what I do. See!

I saved two dollars, but it wasn’t about the money – it’s about my right. I hate compromising things. I am entitled to have 21 -30 days visa in South East Asia as far as I am aware.

They spared me to pay two dollars, but it wasn’t about the amount – I feel respected and not violated.


All in all I should have paid $8, but I only paid $6 because I stood for my right in a nice way. Again it may seem a small thing, but for me it’s the beginning of a great change soon. And I will always remember this day.

No comments: