Thursday, June 21, 2012

Catching Up Laos: NO CITY TOUR HERE


Bumping into a foreigner for a little chat isn’t actually bizarre. I’d rather ask a stranger for a clue than ask a local who doesn’t speak English at all. 

“Did you city tour?” I asked.  

“You don’t wanna do that” he replied thoughtfully showing me his map for places to go.

Thought have just asked the dumbest question in my life. Well, it’s a yes and a no to that - no one would really book a city tour in Vientiane. It takes reading to find that out. And also the place isn’t that huge to explore on foot. But some countries like Vietnam, Thailand, and Cambodia has this sort of travel around.

I don’t usually fancy a city tour but not when I am with friends. Another point is, in some cities there’s a lot of attractions that are too impossible to visit walking. So you need stuff (city tour) like this – but not in Vientiane.



As I said had city tour before and so had this assumption that every country in Asia caters this itinerary. So I looked around down town and asked several tourist companies but couldn’t find any. Not in this city.

It wasn’t exactly spinning around the capital for I can do it myself, but I was looking for an outskirt tour within the city. But again there is none like that here. I was surprised to know.

That’s when I learned that a day stay is enough. The only reason I stayed for two days more was to rest from that long awful bus ride. And I didn’t want to rush it although can’t wait to leave the city. Boredom was killing me to death.

A lot of foreigners never stay long in the city. But for people freaks of night life can actually stay, slowing it down having the real life of the city – but not me and to the rest that I met.   
  

Since there is no city tour here, I spent much of my time in the hotel and in the same places for two days. I may have had good memories to keep, but that’s not the reason to sweet-lemon the scenario. I like the city but I could not find any reason to go back. Who knows?

For people who are lazy to walk around, this city is not for you. It takes walking to see all these beautiful scenery. Bit if you got a lot of money to pay an expensive tuktuk, it’s a different thing then. 

Now I understand partly why there’s no such thing as city tour here – you just have to walk around patiently and with endurance to taste how it’s like. That’s F.Y.I.

No comments: