Tuesday, March 20, 2012

WHEN LIFE SURPRISED ME


I only had one dream growing up – to finish Journalism at the University. Amidst difficulty life brought, I’ve done my hardest not letting this dream die. Proud! It was I thought the beginning of a career, but unexpected things came along the way. Let’s say the start of the many opportunities great and small; and so where surprises never end.

This is what I also told my students, friends, and colleagues to start my speech on my doctoral conferment days ago. I didn’t actually need a highly intellectual message to bring. A simple one was enough for everyone to understand.

 I hope they get it!

When I thought one degree was enough, it didn’t happen as predicted. Then I was blessed with another degree which gave me further training in leadership and designing programs for young people. Those years were also rediscovering gifts and seeking directions in the future. 

And I am always thankful for all these blessings and the many surprises.

Photobucket
Photobucket

I told this story countless times. But I also told my hearers to stay awake while dreaming. For sure they comprehend the meaning of being industrious. As a matter of fact, life is full of good things. Just do our best and God will honor that labor. 

Not even I had thought would come this far. Receiving another doctoral degree is a wonderful gift. And this is an important event beyond imagination. I feel honored and privileged. Looking back to where I started a life, it’s kind of unbelievable still. Pursuing even a simple education was a struggle. But see, I have ventured a lot academically. Not to mention having those dream monsters around. But then one must learn how to fight. One must be opened for opportunities with no limits.

I told them this to end my speech.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Imagine yourself receiving a bunch of unexpected gifts. This is what I want to say. And as each gift is unveiled, you always find yourself in awe and in endless jaw-dropping. Little by little we all learn to grasp that life is much better than we simply thought. 

SURPRISE!

And I ended up somewhere beautiful.

That’s when life surprised me.

No comments: