Sunday, March 25, 2012

BECAUSE ONE HAS IT


Singing and dancing were taboos at home. We didn’t really talk about these around the table. Anything that doesn’t bring food on the table is pointless. And so I grew up suppressing things I was good at. It wasn’t a priority to put care about.

Thanks to individuals who affirmed these gifts. I listened to them. If not for these caring people, I’d hide these gifts in a box forever. Then I would never have a chance to bless people with these God-given talents. 

I fought the good fight. I proved them wrong. But the most difficult part in making a decision which concerns an immediate family and relatives. They were my monsters themselves. 

Are you surprised to know? 

Fortunate enough I had people of good intention around who affirmed what I should do. I owe them this one!

The situation I was years ago taught me precious lessons in the end. I’ve come to know that I can actually be an instrument to encourage those who are in the same boat. I also want to help kids and youth achieve their dreams (in big and in small ways). It is one of my commitments for life.

Yes! I am aware hundred percent that I am not the only one in this situation. It would be a pleasure then to feature a teenager that is close to my heart. She is one of the kids I take care at the center.

Photobucket

This girl has been here for almost a year. My bad, I haven’t even noticed her gift (aside from her singing voice) until one told me. 

Wow! She can really design elegant gowns. 

That’s no question why she is so fashionable and expressive. I consider these characters as her strengths. In a world of fashion I think one must possess these attitudes to be able to capture clients or the fashionistas themselves. Just my assumption though.

It’s sad! She could not even finish high school – no not yet. But I am doing my best pushing her back to finish twelfth grade. 

It’s a different thing. It would be easier then to pursue her dream becoming a fashion designer.

Although her decision to stay at the center is no waste of time but I still want her to finish high school. She may learn a lot of stuff at the center that any public schools could not give, but it would be awesome to have both.

Photobucket
Photobucket

One day she told me about her aspiration. And so I encouraged her to keep doing what she is good at. Then she has to prioritize school if she wants a scholarship. On the one hand, she also must know that any scholarship is very competitive. And it takes hard work. I just hope she understands all these.

For now, I am giving all the help I can. I want to be at her side as an encourager affirming her special talent. I also promised to support her in whatever ways to hone her gift. It is for her and for her future. She just needed more hard knocks so she’ll stay focus in fulfilling that dream. 

She is careless at times - not taking care of every finished piece she designed. And so I provided her a pink folder to store her stuff temporarily. They are good works. Soon if I have some money, I will buy her the things she needed for this. That is part of pruning and affirming someone. You have to direct or even redirect one’s path to fully learn chase her dreams.

One day, I showed her my labor (a piece of design) basically to challenge her. It wasn’t that good for it’s not my forte. But that was to encourage and motivate the girl to work BIG. So glad she took that challenge. Since then I have seen one beautiful design after another.

I was amazed!

My wish for her is to become one of the great fashion designers in Cambodia.

And because one has it, and so it is worth affirming!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments: