Thursday, December 15, 2011

December Meals

Photobucket
Photobucket

“Are you having a Christmas party before you leave?” my kids asked in excitement.

“Yes, of course!” I replied without thinking; caught surprised with the question itself.

I actually had a plan. And so intended it unmentioned. But I didn’t want to lie to keep it a secret. So I had the plan announced a week before the anticipated celebration.

I thought they already have forgotten last year’s party. But it was too short a time to forget. So glad they asked which encouraged me to pursue the plan – it means they liked what I did previous year.

And this time I wanted it slightly different. By the way, I was a bit disappointed of the party last year. But it surprised me how these kids loved it.

Again, this time I needed doubled amounts to make it merrier and enjoying. On the one hand, was worried a little where to get the budget for this seemingly unnecessary party. That’s why it was a secret at first.

Blessed enough, one generous giver came to the rescue. A big THANK YOU to Miss Ice! She wasn’t told about in fact but she gave the exact digits for such a need.

When I finally told my friends about it, one more generous giver gave in-kinds. Another big THANK YOU to Ate Vilma!

I went back to the village very happy with an answered prayer. Then I told my kids about having it soon –so soon. But when I was about to organize it, a total shift happened. I decided not having a BIG party anymore instead a week full of meals – December Meals. I have few important reasons for such an abrupt change.

One is to break the typical breakfast – porridge every morning. I’ve been doing this since I got here. Providing them with hot drinks and delicious noodles is another story. With these simple provision of in-kinds always brought happy smile aside from burps. Who would like to eat porridge every single day? So daddy has to find simple means to make these kids blessed even with small gesture.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Two is to introduce meals and sort of drinks from different origins. Basically they haven’t tried so far; fortunately they don’t have to go to fancy restaurants to have some; surprisingly no need to go out of the country enjoying such delicacies. I brought them all within a week -they craved for more.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Three is to learn unfamiliar things. One day when they are out the country and have unfamiliar meals with people of different heritages, they will not find it hard to adapt. They’ll enjoy meals of other kinds as well.

Photobucket

Four is to simply be practical. Instead of having an elegant party for a night, a week meals is a lot better. There they’ve enjoyed all meals served in several times, not just in one-time gesture. A week meals is far different from a day’s meal. It was more impacting to be honest.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

“So where is the sense of Christmas there?” in case one would inquire.

“Feeding the right people –the less privilege instead of greedy ones; the demonstration of generous giving by friends; the good intention of making the kids happy; the example of love through an action” my response.

Keep blessing. Happy Holidays!

Photobucket
Photobucket


No comments: