Sunday, June 30, 2013

Veranda

Views taken from my Veranda


Not a single night or day, for as long as I’m around would fail indulging this place – my favorite spot at home – an open access to the neighborhood where words aren’t needed to explain motions and goings-on; a perfect location to adore sunrise and sunset including countless moonlights; a cramped space where I’m the weather forecaster of my own – all these in my tiny veranda.   

It’s not an ideal type one elegant or picky or malcontent or disgruntled person could have, but for me who live by grace is a jackpot.  And for a guy who likes watching high-rise buildings and different house structures from a distance, just a teeny weeny porch would do. I don’t need to go to crowded vicinities to slake my amazement – got it all right here.

It’s neither an idyllic one.

What do you expect for such a cheap rent?

Yet I am extremely pleasant with a cup of coffee, and sometimes tea in my hand realizing that not everyone has the same privilege. After all happiness is not the presence of up-to-the-minute stuff around, it’s a choice. 

Yet I’ve learned to appreciate the simplicity it brings in the absence of what others consider true beauty. Noticing the unnoticed is not what people give each day, but if your heart is filled with gratefulness, then you’d always find every little thing worth praising and thanking still.  

Yet I’ve become accustomed to the noise I hear each day while sitting in my veranda – even with the most annoying honk in the middle of the night from an insensitive neighbor – a sound that steals away someone’s tranquility. Anyway, I was taught that peace is not the presence of silence but a state of mind instead.

A veranda is still a veranda and it has nothing to do with anything that is happening around whether it’s pleasant or beautiful or peaceful or not all.

Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary defines idyllic as extremely pleasant, beautiful or peaceful referring to a place or experience. And so none of these descriptions matches how my veranda is like. It doesn’t matter because I love it so much.

“Enormous” wouldn’t be the right utterance or an idea expressed in spoken words regarding this favorite corner of mine, but this is where I dream awake, think a lot, plan ahead, and design things well – the biggest stuff one can ever imagine. And so I cherish this minuscule place where my current life’s story is happening at the moment.

Right in this veranda where I shed tears for countless times when drought was seemingly unbearable – where I’ve prayed fervently more than anyone else – in hushed and audible voice.

Along with my pen and notebook, I poured out my silent cries here – when tears were just too dry to come out; and when I had no one to talk to. There in those silent cries each story of God’s goodness, grace, mercy, love, kindness, and faithfulness is revealed.

Rain or shine, I stargaze from my veranda every night to feel relaxed and serene. This is what usually I do before kissing the night goodbye.

In season or out of season, this is where I drink my morning coffee and with a praiseful heart to welcome another day.

I dry my laundry here to get natural heat from the sun or the blowing wind – to remind me that man doesn’t live in high technology alone – the Creator has given us free resources to enjoy life still.

Lastly, this is where I cool down at night or day time if necessary when the sun isn’t that friendly at times. 

Thank God for this veranda!

Here are some photos of my daughters from the village visiting taken from my veranda...  

No comments: