Thursday, May 9, 2013

HANDWRITING



Handwriting was one of the biggest issues at school during my childhood days. Each pupil had to learn to write a word or a phrase or a sentence or a paragraph in ways a teacher wanted - it should be neat, in normal size, and with proper strokes. But the most demanding task to win a teacher's praise or to avoid a stick was to describe our writing in cursive or rounded letters which are joined together. 

Thanks to my eagerness learning stuff before others, because by the time it needed, at the age of eight, I already had developed such a handwritten style. And like those kids who worked their hardest, I don't remember moving up to the next grade was a real threat - where a lot of copying from the board, in cursive handwriting required.

And exactly in second grade I started reading complicated love letters in rounded characters.

Before our elementary days were over, our hands got used to the pressure of writing well - which turned in a possessed gift in the end more than just a beautiful skill - including those left-handed kids weren't excluded for having this strength to be proud of - a good penmanship.

It took many years, of course -  not to forget those scoldings from teachers and parents to be able to write properly and correctly; and to remember those seemingly endless exercises writing clean, readable enough; and to affirm those hard works into perfection. But there wasn't more fulfilling than beating each classmate for writing fast and neat. We had done it several times uncountable. We truly had fun even if it was so tiring at the same time.

These were my younger years at school.

Then high school came was a different story since we were no longer kids but responsible learners. It was then when a handwriting was no longer an issue - we now had the freedom to write in our own way or style as long as we cope up with the academic demands. But whether it's a cursive or not, we kept the good habit of writing neatly for everyone to read comprehensively.

Whether they're lectures or home works or essays or research papers or exams or some private stuff to write and keep, all but in handwriting a way - with one option then - using a typewriter - and yet it wasn't that comfortable to take advantage to. So we preferred handwritten back then, almost handwritten products.

I never bought songbooks, but wrote down every favorite song in my notebook.

If it was possible for every occasion, I preferred giving hand-made cards and not those computerized ones, and with my messages and wishes through my own handwriting.

Never had I computerized my compositions, they were written by my own hand compiled and kept.

And so everything was a handwritten a way until my college days (except for major papers). Those who were comfortable enough with this mean, they always find handwriting was easier and quicker than any supplied inventions there were.

Then one generation after another came, and brought sophisticated developments along the way - laptop and cell phones to name specifically, but I wasn't threatened at all - I still loved handwriting despite a lot of loads to encode in the computer and messages to send through a cell phone and emails - I called it flexibility to learn new things and incorporate handwriting still. This seemingly laid back "me" had no choice since I was already in grad school at that time.

Thanks to the idea of keeping journals because it helped me write more not neglecting my handwriting even when I was already out of school. And learning languages kept me from being lazy to write as well.

I thought still had the beautiful hobby, but not lately. Over a year ago, things have changed because I was so consumed by these technologies, which left  me lazy. I  stopped writing journals since blogging was easier. The only time I used my handwriting was when jotting down my goals and plans in my planner for it isn't a technology made. Thank goodness!

Now, this makes me so curious about the new generation - when every kid is just so attached to this super convenient gadgets - pampering every creature on earth. I wonder if kids these days can still write the way we were in my era. Just wondering, but do hope I'm wrong.


No comments: