Monday, March 18, 2013

Wonderful Disorientation



The only Mexican food my mouth is familiar with are those I've devoured in the past - chili, burritos, and tacos are the specifics. I prefer homemade over sophisticated ones - so forgive me for my disorientation. Aside from this preference cooking at home, I just cannot afford to eat out in fancy restaurants - where food are unfamiliar and ridiculously expensive as always.

When I was invited for lunch last weekend - to enjoy the grace one kind family had offered - it didn't turn out as I've simply expected. And looking at the menu was like reading a language doesn't exist. I thought we were in Mars, but we were actually at the Mexican Restaurant. Thanks to the owner for making me so comfortable amidst awkward challenge caused by ignorance - I ended up eating breakfast at lunch time though.

Grace is grace, and from that experience conceived new things - got introduced wider to Mexican cuisines, and was reminded to read more about one's a particular delicacies - for my own good next time.

And from that seemingly bizarre get together turned in a wonderful experience in the name of culinary arts. In fact, I can now make some mexican pride for myself. They aren't that complicated as I thought they were. Soon, when I get back in the village, I will orient my kids of those food too. We actually have those common ingredients at home.

I can't wait to do that!

In just a matter of day, I was caught in the same scenario the second time - another grace to enjoy the bounty my tummy couldn't believe. This time at the Indian-Nepali Halal Restaurant - again where food are strange for these big eyes to know - but they were so delicious and so nutritious to resist.

Thank goodness! I didn't have to wrestle because someone familiar with the cuisine did the ordering. All I had to do was relax, feel at home, had a chit-chat, observe, learn, and enjoy the feast before me.

I love Indian food, but things like curry and parata are the ones I know. So don't ask me to name each food we had. The ingredients are just so complex for my tongue to predict except for those familiar spices. I''m convinced to have a cook book in case I'll make some of these halal food.

But see, my disorientation has something to do with preference eating at home and my ability cooking non-complicated food only. Yet I am open to learn things in this matter. Besides, I'm very much attached to Khmer food and Vietnamese food all these years. Forgive me for that.

And before I forgot, thanks to my friends for such generosity. From these experiences, I came across new things to put in mind - speaking of cooking and eating out.

My mind keeps insisting that I had a weekend of disorientation, but my heart keeps telling me something else - it was a wonderful disorientation.