Tuesday, November 20, 2012

STILL IN THE ALPHABET



For years, I really possessed a strong optimistic outlook on language learning beyond cautious optimism. That was always a good start – an attempt having no regret in the end for such spirit.

Getting hold of a positive stance, it pushed me over the limit. And no matter how time consuming each language learned; regardless how complicated the rules in frames; despite how tiring the demand of a tongue twister – I stood the test – it was just a matter of settling the heart and mind encouragingly.

But not on this overwhelming language, the Khmer, in which each character I come across is a strange creature. I am beginning to be pessimistic about it, not to count the numerous whining and complaints.

The alphabet itself is too much, left me annoyed for not being able to familiarize every stroke still. Sometimes, I am tempted to set aside this venture again since I speak the language enough.

“You really have to memorize them to remember well.” insisted a Caucasian friend, also a learner.


“Ah, OK.” I replied instead of defying such an idea.


But my heart is telling me the irony of how I learned things – not memorization or by route. I prefer familiarization or learn it by heart, and then I’d remember them for the rest of my life.

Yet, as I devour myself daily mastering the alphabet, that’s when challenges come disturbing– to name – laziness, less motivation, forgetfulness, less focus, short attention, and all sort of negativism a body could ever feel.  


“I think my friend has a point on this one.” my defiant heart is agreeing.

Now, I am so tempted to give a shot and see what his idea has in stored. After all, no one dies in giving a try.

Still in the alphabet - in my fourth attempt – at least I didn’t give up.

Happy to know, it took years for the locals to master it. And that’s an excuse for not thriving very fast – if only I could.

Sad to say, there are locals still that couldn’t write and read such Khmer alphabet. Fortunately I am beginning to recognize things here – that’s another comfort.

“How old were you when you started learning Khmer formally?” I asked a veteran friend on this particular language.

“Forty plus something” he answered back.

In his super duper accomplishment embracing the language itself, speaking like a local is an eye-opener in fact. So I can still do it.

Today, I will be obedient enough memorizing each letter to prove me wrong. Hopefully, this will help me get through it. I could not wait to master the alphabet and be able to read Khmer words.

Wish me the best!

   

No comments: