Friday, October 19, 2012

Two Opposite Desires


 “How old are you now, boy?” I asked my godson this morning.

“Five!” he answered.

“No, you’re not!” an aunt disproved.

At first, I didn’t actually mind giving me such response. A kid is a kid. Nevertheless, what this godfather is after to was a simple conversation – from this growing up, inquisitive kid.

“Ninong, Judsen wants to be grown up man now. Please, tell him when this will be possible.” His mother opened a way for us to have real talk with this small guy.

And so I took the chance of explaining things in his context. I thought. I asked him the same question again, but then he gave the same answer still.

“Let’s say sixteen years from now. So you should start counting today.” I encouraged him. Yet it seemed didn’t work out.

“I want to be a man now!” he insisted.

That ended our dialogue. They left me goodbye heading to school.

Have not even finished the article I was trying to write this morning – the “brain” stuff, when suddenly confronted with the irony of this all – he is so eager possessing an adult stage, while I beginning to tremble of what has to come.

Two different desires –“I don’t want to get old!” and “I want to become a man now!” are just funny realities of a godfather and a godchild ties, which both requires God’s sufficient grace to understand all.

But it’s truly a privilege knowing the mindset of a child. It may seem naive in my perspective, but it’s one’s curiosity of an inquisitive kid – of a godchild.

Last night, before bed, I prayed for him in general and what I thought God has me led to pray for. This morning was a new revelation. Thank God for the opportunity to kneel for this kid. For sure, God’s wisdom is abundant.

Just few hours ago, I posted an old-age-threatening article, now it’s totally different. But I believe grace overshadows every desire in our heart – whether a naive excitement (Judsen’s desire) or the one that needs more mercy (my fear of getting old).

Immanuel!


No comments: