Wednesday, October 10, 2012

BEST & WORST BAGELS


So annoying of me to rephrase, but I will say it anyway - that traveling is always pointless without food involved. It's not because we need food, but travelers, not all though, find it interesting to have a taste of every cuisine along the way - exotic or just the plain one.

The opposite of this truth, sad to say, is that there are those who are stuck in their own comfort zone - who could not even take those food the insider has to offer - every little taste is just funny or strange.

That's when they acted like a dumb looking for a bagel in a noodle restaurant. And when the cravings gets triggering, there's a fast food a way to pacify that desperation. Thanks to these food chains around!

"What's in this bagel that many western travelers couldn't not give up?" my inquiring mind began asking.

Well, It doesnt mean haven't seen this thing, just didn't have some yet. There's much difference.

I don't really fancy western food that much, and yet I was curious to have a bite. But I've never seen any bakeries in my area selling. One, I was surrounded with Asian delicacies - and that's a valid excuse if this craving driven by curiosity cooled down.

After silent years, I stand corrected and finally had some bagels. My first time ever, last February of this year, during our Bangkok Hat Ultimate Frisbee Tournament, served as breakfast for two days (we had different choices, of course, aside from healthy fruits).

Now, I understand why western travelers always look for bagels.

Now, I know why it's so enticing and one would really give in - I fell for it!

Funny me, hey?

"I didn't know it's yummy and chewy and so indulging!"  I said to myself as I devoured one more piece... and then another piece. The following day, I had two more bagels for breakfast in the field - I didn't mind the other sandwiches.

Oh, the best I had so far. A hundred percent guarantee because the second time I had one just last month was the worst.

I bought it from a grocery store nearby. I intended to buy some bread for breakfast that evening. To my surprised, there before me some bagels displayed. For the first time in this store, and so I bought one instead in my excitement. It was quite expensive than the usual bread I buy everyday. I grabbed it anyway.
  
When I got home, suddenly my watery mouth could not wait. So I was planning to have it for a midnight snack, with a mug of coffee, but didn't give in. "Better have it in the morning to start the day" I said as I fought back the temptation. I won, ignored the craving.

But not what I have been expecting - it didn't come out as exactly anticipated. And no matter how thick the fillings, it didn't help.

It was the worst.

It ruined my day.

Then I remember the story in the Bible when Jesus cursed the fig tree for bearing no fruit - that's exactly the same feeling I had to exaggerate. That's life - we get the best at times, and we get the worst on the other hand. Just don't stop looking for the best one.

It means, I have to wait for the next's year tournament to have some delicious bagels, those real ones for sure. For now, I wont crave for some.

Don't worry, I am very logical - I wont ask for some especially when I'm in a jungle.

And no worries, I am flexible, I eat whatever served there is.  



No comments: