Wednesday, February 29, 2012

WHO KNOWS!


Photobucket

One. Learning a language is really my interest. I just love the sound of every spoken word not my own. 

It is fascinating!

Two. I consider myself a cross-cultural communicator more than just a learner. If you’ll hear me speak another tongue one day, that’s what I am trying to say then. Learning other languages is just inseparable from me.

Three. It’s part of my job undeniably. And so I have to learn a particular language of the country where I am based. It’s challenging at times especially when it’s tonal. 

But I truly understand its necessity or the agony!

And some more reasons. And whatever they are, I truly know them by heart. But suddenly one question came out to me in my mind. I was surprised to realize. 

“WHAT’S THE USE OF OTHER LANGUAGES I LEARNED FOR?” An inquiring mind asked.

I don’t know honestly speaking!

As a matter of fact, not all of those languages I learned seem beneficial (except for Filipino, English, Vietnamese, and Khmer). Not for now maybe. For I’ve learned them in the name of interest or a program’s requirement. Arabic, Greek, Spanish, Hebrew, Korean, and French for example - I haven’t used them as much the others.  

And I‘ve never been to any of these places either. 

The question of being able to use any of these is in the air – hanging!

Who knows!

I would be surprised to see myself in Korea for a coffee-talk with a native speaker.

Or I would be in Israel buying some kosher food in wet market in my Hebrew accent.

Maybe I would be in France as an interpreter.

Let say, I would be in Spain as a volunteer teaching little children as I try to speak Español. 

If not I would be in the Arab world simply working in an area where speaking Arabic is a must.

Who knows?

I’d find out one day. 

After all life is full of wondering and uncertainties. Like a feather blown by the wind, soon you''ll be caught surprised. And when it lands the ground, you'll find out the purpose it is designed for.


Photobucket

No comments: