Friday, November 29, 2013

Wednesday Ride



Although my nephew is an expert rider and driver, but I was wary still to hop on his motorbike – to hit the road in this enormous city that only tough riders would attempt and grace dependents would bash.

This is his daily route and life, but not mine. And so this ride was very uncomfortable for me. The only time I got to see all the beautiful scenarios was taking a bus, a jeepney, and a train patiently – so safe – in years.

But today was atypical as we went through congested cities. I haven’t been observant as this in my own country beholding each city old and new – in a motorbike ride – a seemingly joyride that a person like me wouldn’t usually dare.

“You’re the only person who has convinced me for such a ride here in Manila, not even my best friend.” I told my nephew, Louie.

It was the first time ever to have a stab at something like this one and jumped out from run-of-the-mill motion. I am grateful I did hop on because this experience brought me something that ordinary commuters will not see in just one or two or three rides. It will take a journey with a nephew on a Wednesday ride.

We started the ride in Makati and went through each modern city and ancient city in Manila. If not for this ride, I don’t think would be able to see a different perspective of each place from a commuter’s eyes like me.

And if not for this ride, don’t think I could catch sight of places of this huge city that buses or trains or jeepneys couldn’t go. Thankful I gave myself a shot because my life had never been the same even for this teeny-weeny moment of an adventure with my nephew.

Aside from seeing new things around, I didn’t realize had been to some of these seemingly unfamiliar places in the past. It only took a motorbike ride to be reminded again and to reminisce once more the long, forgotten journeys when I was still a commuter in this mega city. 

Despite the scorching heat of the sun including the body aches and headache it caused, I was happy still to make the decision because it was one in a million rides to consider. 

Amidst stresses and what this overcrowded world has to offer, my experience for the day was extremely worth riding – on this beautiful day – a Wednesday ride, I don’t know if it will come again.


No comments: