Monday, April 18, 2011

A CITY TOUR INSTEAD

We busted our butts just to make everything ready. Aside from constant planning, several meetings, fund raising, emailing friends, updating sponsors, and rigid practices for our performances, the kids had to work their own things as well in order to get their passports done with the hope of a happy trip. Then few days before the expected tour, we made everything ready except for one thing. We did not raise all the amounts needed because half of the sponsors backed out for a reason. It was a tragedy at first but I was still hopeful that all of the kids can go. So I decided to shorten the trip into four days instead of eight days because I want everyone in. That was the best thing to do for the moment. But I already had a plan to talk to our host in Saigon to help us make our trip extended. Who knows?

Finally, I had our passports in my hand. I bought our bus tickets. We all had our things packed. Most importantly, I had all the necessary documents ready. At last, we were on our final countdown. I can feel their excitements despite restlessness. We were all exhausted because we had to perform four intermission numbers during Takeo Idol held a day before the trip. The program was organized and spearheaded by Peace Corps to promote our organization. And even at the last few hours before our departure, we had to prepare our food because we didn’t have enough budgets to buy expensive meals along the road. It was a practical thing to do as well. When the food was ready, we realized we only had an hour and a half left to sleep. It was already one in the morning. We had to wake up at two thirty and leave at three that early because the bus had to leave at six in the morning. Besides our center is two-hour drive away to Phnom Penh and we didn’t want to miss our bus.

We arrived at SAPACO Bus Station to be exact at five in the morning. The excitement filled the air as we were sitting in a coffee shop right next to the station waiting for a joyride. Since we still had an hour before the departure, we took our breakfast then. Before we knew it, we were all in the bus settled and ready enough for the long-expected trip of their lives. Some of my kids had to take advantage of the cool bus for a nap because we were just tired. Some kids had mixed emotions. And some of them could not stand the coldness the air-condition. While I, myself was very anxious and was trying to chill.

An hour after, the bus attendant collected our passports. So I handed mine and the kids' passports. Only to find out we were in a great chaos. The bus attendant asked us a huge amount equivalent to our field trip expenses. I tried to negotiate and defend the kids' rights but the bus attendant wasn't accommodating and helpful at all including the bus driver. They wanted money. In my disappointment not to be able to give what they exactly wanted, I took my passport and the kids' back and told the attendant that I'd work it myself upon the immigration. And I did.

When we got to the border, all the passengers were asked to get off from the bus for immigration purposes. So we did. And the bus attendant told the officer about our situation. So I immediately talked to the immigration officer and pleaded for an opportunity in behalf of the kids. At first they asked us some amounts but we told them we do not have money for that. The kids helped negotiate for the matter. I was asked to hand in the letter as well as a proof of our purpose going out of the country. When they felt the sincerity of our hearts, the immigration allowed us mercifully without string attached. They turned out accommodating and helpful to us. But it wasn't a total guarantee yet because we had to get the approval from the Vietnamese immigration officer. So we did what we were told to do. As I said a while ago, the bus wasn't helpful at all to his own passengers and left us walked to the other side of the border. We paid for the bus and it was their responsibility supposedly to take us there because we paid for it. But they didn't. And even at Vietnam immigration, he didn't attend our needs and walked away from his responsibility. So we took the initiative ourselves since I speak Vietnamese. Off course, what would you expect but worst scenario. Yet I was still hoping... it's no wrong thing being hopeful.

Anyway, we started talking to an officer but then he referred us to the director. So we had to find the office and the right person himself. So when we found the place and the right guy, the director told us to sit and wait. After waited for a long time, the negotiation started. He looks gentle but he was totally cunning. Money. Money. Money. That's all. When he realized we didn't have money to offer, he said we could not got through and left us in the room. So we had to plead harder, persistently and followed him wherever he went. But he made his decision. Then he called another officer who speaks Khmer to interpret to the kids the reason for not allowing us. Money in short. We waited and waited and pleaded and pleaded, but nothing happened. So they finally asked us to leave and go back to Cambodia. That was a total devastation for all of us especially for the kids.

What can we do but take the kids to Phnom Penh. It was painful and embarrassing at first but there was nothing I can do. Seeing their faces with frustrations, I can't help but thought of another action plan. It's been a hard long day for the kids so I didn't want to end the trip that way. They deserve a treat still. I had four hours to plan before we get to the city anyway. At last, an idea came.

A city tour instead.

So I carefully gave my kids instructions when they get to the city since we were not in the same bus. I made sure assigning big brothers and big sisters for each group. I also informed friends and sponsors about what happened and told them about the change of plan too. Thanks to their kindness and encouragement. As I was sorting out things for the city tour, my mind was occupied with worrisome about the kids as well. Thank God I gathered everyone before dusk came. Everybody was safe and sound. Then smiles in their faces glowed again.

Looking back at what had happened during the day; heading to Cambodia border downcast and disappointed, I said to myself and to my co-teachers "We have done our best." We realized in time that amidst obstacles along the way, we found a solution to every problem but not this corruption. Despite the situation, I was still grateful for the lessons learned although it took me few days to accept. I could have pinpointed someone and put all the blames for that carelessness and ignorance, but I held that feeling back. I was also thankful for our safety back in the city. Lastly, I would like to acknowledge sincerely the help of Cambodian immigration officers for accommodating us and for believing in us. They took time arranging buses for us one at a time because we cannot be in one bus together. Lastly, for my kids for their cooperation and understanding with the situation. To all the sponsors, we are so sorry for the change of plans. But then a million thank you for making even this city tour happened.

I would like to share some photos taken during the city tour. On the hand, I also would like to apologize for my recklessness deleting accidentally all the pictures taken during our 2 days trip in the city. It was my bad. I regret because we had so much memories to cherish supposedly like going to Royal palace, S-21, mallings, riverside, etcetera. The pictures you will be seeing soon were taken during our last day in the city.

Enjoy!

Photobucket
...at Sorya Mall refreshing...
Photobucket
Photobucket
...they were watching roller skating...

Photobucket
Photobucket
...ice cream time at Lucky Burger...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
...at KFC...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
...crossing the busy street of Phnom Penh along Monivong Road...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
...dinner at night market in front of Orrusey...
Photobucket
Photobucket
...a tuktuk ride heading to riverside...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
...at the river side...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
...in front of Royal Palace at night...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
...somewhere down the busy road...
Photobucket
Photobucket
...at hotel Cambodiana...
Photobucket
...somewhere out there...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
...wandering around Naga World...

Once again, thank you very much sponsors! You made the kids happy.






No comments: